Service schedule for 2007 Accord

Page 1 of 2
OK, I looked at the owners manual, and while there are about ten pages on how to operate the radio, there is no good ol' fashioned maintenance schedule, that I can see. And the Honda site seems to
just refer you to your local dealer for advice, hah.
I thought one of the sales points on these beasts was "no tuneups for 100,000 miles", but that was never exactly true, I mean, you still need oil changes, filter changes, brakes, tires, and ... what else?
I'm at 12k miles, the "oil life 5%" message is showing (already changed once around 6k miles), so it's time for something, but is it just the oil change, or more? I know my local dealer now recommends "minor service" for $140, which consists mainly of oil, lube, checking everything, a quick courtesy wash, "and resetting maintenance light".
Thanks.
J.
JXStern wrote:

Actually, it is exactly true. You don't need to do any tune-ups for 100,000 mi. In the old days, you needed to change the plugs, the wires, the rotor, the cap, etc. Now, you don't need to do any of this for 100,000 mi.
They said "no tune-ups" not no maintenance.
Nothing inaccurate or misleading in what they said.

Go for the oil change only. You should be able to find to find instructions on resetting the maintenance light in your owner's manual.
Get the list of everything they check with the "minor service" and learn to check them yourself.
Jeff
> Thanks.

the maintance light is turned off by pushing the odometer button hold it turn on the key hold the button for six seconds the light goes off
JXStern wrote:

Unless you bought the vehicle used and somebody kept the manuals, I suspect your answer is in the glove box. I received two items relative to the maintenance schedule with my 2006. The more comprehensive one is in the owner's manual. While Honda could have changed this, common sense argues against it.

Only a dreamer would take issue with that selling point by pointing out that you still need oil changes, filters, brakes, etc.

To save you the arduous task of re-reading your owner's manual for the information, your maintenance schedule will call for oil change, oil filter change, rotate tire and check for loose parts hanging down or falling off the car<g>

Well, it's not entirely clear. BMW now includes all standard maintenance for 100k. That's sort of kind of what Honda wants it to sound like. Of course it's not exactly true, for the Honda, but now I find they're not making clear what you should be doing - and the local dealer leverages that into selling this "minor service" deal.

Dealer wants about $80 for that last. I guess that's life in the big city.
I'll go check the glove box for a secondary book that might have a maintenance schedule, but I thought that used to be in the main book.
J.
JXStern wrote:

A "deal." 5 cases of Pepsi (12 cans) for $11 is a deal. What they're selling sounds like a "steal."

And the cool thing is that you can shop around for other dealers or take it to any shop or even do the work yourself.
Jeff

JXStern wrote:

Look over the maintenance items. Minor service, IMO, is for the sheeple too lazy to do anything, including reading the manual, other than pop the gas tank cap and occasionally throw some washer fluid in the tank when they can no longer see out the windshield.<g>
I can get my oil and filter changed and tires rotated for under $45. While it's up on the rack I can do my own "walk around"

No, it's called running a profitable business. You can be an informed consumer or a sheeple. I do what I can and shop wisely for the best price and competency level on the rest of it.

They are probably pretty much the same across the 2007 Honda's but if you have an Accord, turn to page 191 of your owners manual and READ it. Maintenance is tied in to the Maintenance Minder vs. specific mileages. Depending upon the code which comes up when the oil change is due, various maintenance functions, listed in this section of the manual, will need to be done.
2006 also uses this but, as I recall, also has somewhat of a chart - similar to what most of us are used to.
All the 2007 manuals are available at:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_OMANUAL.ASP?YEAR 07

That's me, basically, only I do wash the windshield without the spray. I'm sure I did that, once.

Just want to keep the warranty valid.

Nearest shop (eg, dealer) seems generally competent, and honest, if greedy. Rather less greedy than the Acura dealer, where I had to keep fending off recommendations to clean the injectors, yada yada.

Thanks.
I guess the news to me is that they are entirely *serious* about this minder deal, I though it was just a widget to tell you when to change the oil, based on hours, RPMs, and cold starts - or something like that.
And now the trick is to see if the dealer will honor it without a lot of noise. They send out these coupon books, and nowhere does it offer "A-1 service for $50", which is about what it looks like it oughta be. Plus or minus splurging on the filter.
J.
JXStern wrote:

Well, all you need to do is rotate the tires, change the oil, and inspect the thing at the recommended intervals.

You say, "the dealer." Is there another dealer near where you live?
If not, is there a gas station or garage that can change the oil, rotate the tires and reset the indicator light?
If the answer is "yes" to either question, then I would go elsewhere than the dealer you have been going to.
Jeff

JXStern wrote:

Honda is well-known for a great engine with great longevity. I have seen (over the course of five oil changes, etc.) a variation on the mileage before the minder called for service. I'm sure they know what they're doing.
I'm sure that the "widget" takes all that and more into consideration. GM's had it for years and has issued numerous TSB's to their dealerships in an effort to get them (the dealers) to back off the old "3000 miles for oil and filter change" and let their maintenance minder system govern the need.
While it's not critical, you might want to go back and see what you did on the first change. Think hard. All the follow up recommendations are predicated upon following their schedule.
Two things of note: On my 2006 (and I didn't check the 2007 book but assume it's the same). Honda specifically warned the owner to NOT change out the oil before the maintenance minder called for it and, secondly, specified NO filter change at the first oil change.

Good luck!<g>

I took it to the (different) dealer where I bought it, gave them the "first oil change free" coupon, and told them to take care of it. About forty minutes later I was out of there.
J.

I do not think anybody exactly answered your question. There is no printed maintenance schedule for the 2006 and beyond Hondas. The indicator on the odometer window will tell you exactly what you need to do or have done. Oil changes every 6000 miles is about the same as what mine is telling me. The last time the little wrench thingey lit up, the maintenance minder said B 1 2. I was able to go to the manual and see what B 1 2 called for. I did everything myself except the oil change. I have those done simply because it is such a bother to dispose of the used oil. Then I reset the minder following the instructions in the manual.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher Freelance science writer
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:44:39 -0600, Elliot Richmond

Well, thank you for a clear answer!
I saw the codes and all, but didn't realize that was meant to completely replace any fixed schedule!
So, A-1 at 12,000 miles just means change the oil, not even the filter, and rotate the wheels? Well, I may just splurge. I mean, wouldn't you?
Actually, I think I had to reset the minder after my first oil change, shop simply forgot to do it. I did check the oil and found it clean!
Harumph. Just as a test, I guess I'll call the dealer, tell them the code and mileage, and ask for their recommendation. Heh. Like I don't know already.
J.

That's because you bought your shiny new $25,000 toy and never bothered actually to READ the owner's manual. Nah, you know how to drive a CAR! Why the fuck read a book about it?
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:22:33 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Damn straight.

Yet people like you, come here to ask the same old questions and READ the answers. You could cut out the middleman and just read the manual in the first place.
Brian Smith wrote:

think about it - the answers are already both in his glove box /and/ online, yet he's asking the question anyway. therefore it's all about the, er, "social interaction" and not about the car. like those morons bleating about washer fluid.
bottom line, don't complain, just ignore their dumb asses. if you don't play, they'll get bored and f*** off. elmo, you rise to the bait all the freakin' time - you have some interesting and valuable comments to make some times, but wasting your precious bodily fluids on idiots is utterly pointless.
I think there is an issue of expectations here... If you've purchased new cars in the past, particularly if you've done so over a period of 10, 20, 30+ years, but not every year, you expect to find a service schedule in the manual or service log book even if you do read the manual. As such, it might help matters if the dealer rep who delivers the car explained that the maintenance schedule is determined by and reported by the car itself rather than listed in some part of the documents provided. It may take a while for people's expectations to catch up with the technology...
John

I agree, normal people would expect the purchaser of a new vehicle to read the Owners Manual. It only makes sense.

Use the same old tried and true methods that have worked over the last forty years and have no worries.
| Use the same old tried and true methods that have worked over the last | forty years and have no worries.
Of course, it's human nature! ...and it goes the other way too. I've met a lot of kids who have never "dialed" a phone and aren't sure what to do with a rotary phone, cannot tell the time on a clock with hands, have no idea how to use the most basic of tools or function in the woods, and wouldn't even fathom the notion of walking somewhere... It's what you were socialized to as you grew up. In the case of the service manuals, even though the manual mentions the service related lights and displays, in the back of the mind the notion of a schedule exists so the search for a schedule is under taken... Does it make good sense? Probably not... but then one could argue that much of the technology doesn't make sense, e.g., Power windows? What's wrong with a crank? LOL