shake problem

I have a 1997 Civic HX that has started to shake a little when I take off from a complete stop. It's like the car goes over rumble strips. It just happens for a couple seconds and then everything is fine. Like
I said, this only happens when going from a complete stop. I had my mechanic look at it and he could not find anything. His only thought is that it's in the transmission, and he doesn't do transmissions though.
Any thoughts on what it could be? Has anyone run into this problem? I would hate to think about expensive transmission work. The car has about 118,000 miles on it. Thanks.
Mike
MinnesotaMike wrote:

Sorry, what kind of tranny is in it?
'Curly'
motsco_ wrote:

cvt. according the manual, "judder on starting off" is either the start clutch or bad transmission fluid. my money's on the latter. a few quarts of honda z1 fluid should do the trick.

Could be a broken motor mount.
jim beam wrote:

-------------------------
Yep. You don't want trouble with a CVT. I'd spend the extra and drain-n-fill it three times, a day or two apart. There's something special in that Z1 that the CVT needs to have smeared around it's innards.. Here's a thread about the Honda HR-V which has a similar tranny: http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t 604
Please check with your dealer which fluid to use.
'Curly'
Thanks for the suggestions and help. The motor mounts look fine, so I will schedule a transmission fluid drain and fill with the nearest Honda dealer as soon as possible. Unfortunately, none in town. I assume I can forgo the multiple changes if the dealer does it. Do you see any problems using it until I get that changed?
Mike
motsco_ wrote:

MinnesotaMike wrote:

Have the dealer put it on the bus to you. When you DIY, you know it was done, and it's easier than changing your oil. I don't know much about the insides of the CVT, but the torque converter on a 'normal' tranny holds about half of the total liquid volume. Since you can never get it all out, you take it out 1/3rd at a time and do it three times. Why not sign in and use the SEARCH feature at the link I provided. You're talking about a life-n-death issue with your vehicle (the tranny's life).
'Curly'
Thanks Curly. I will look into that for the next time. I came to find out I have to leave town tomorrow. I was actually able to get the car in tomorrow morning for the fluid change. For $65 I figured it was worth paying them this time. I'll let you know if it helps. Thanks again for your help.
Mike
motsco_ wrote:

Just got back from my out-of-state trip with the Civic and the transmission is working as it should. Thanks for all the help!
Mike