Shell's new "nitrogen" gasolin

Shell is promoting its new nitrogenized gasoline as an engine cleaning formula. Anybody knows if this is for real and how nitrogen could accomplish that? I've been favoring Chevron for its techron content for the same reason. pj

Reply to
P J

i started keeping fuel logs a few years ago, and indeed, averages for shell are better than chevron, the other one i've run extensively.

but i have no idea about this nitrogen thing though. some interesting blog comments here:

jim beam

I can't speak for the nitrogenized gasoline, but I started using Shell several years ago, based on their cleaning claims. I discovered that whatever it was, Shell gas was cheaper to run than other fuels.

I started with a few tanks of their Ultra, with extra cleaners, to get things clean (this was a 94 Lexus with 130K miles on it). Then I switched to their 87 octane, and ran nothing but that. I was getting better mileage than I did on other fuels, and even accounting for the fact that the Shell was a bit more expensive to buy, it was cheaper to run.

go figure. I think their claims are legit--but they were so even before claiming this "nitrogenized" fuel.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hm, interesting. And I thought Chevron was the way to go.

I hope it's not a kind of gimmick like those claims about magnets around fuel lines. ;-) I noticed though that Shell also uses up to 10% ethanol in its gas which is said to reduce fuel efficiency, so it's even more puzzling how they can achieve better overall milage than other main brands. pj

Reply to
P J

the key to understanding is knowing the difference between "up to 10%" and "is 10%".

Reply to
jim beam

We don't have Chevron around here, so I have no way of knowing.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Pretty much all gas in the Houston area seems to be 10% ethanol.

Reply to
Paul

Point taken. I better check the posted label more closely next time at gas stations. Perhaps Arco's label does say 10%. I'm actually surprised that government allows such vague labeling as "up to 10%." What might be next? This gasoline's octane rating may be up to 89? pj

Reply to
P J

They allow it because the amount of additives changes according to the season.

Reply to
Larry in AZ

I can't see how any sort of dissolved free nitrogen would do squat for cleaning. I'd think that the air would provide plenty... ;)

Shell's site is full of typical idiot-level Dancing Bologna and says nothing of consequence.

Amines have long been used in the better anti-deposit additives. Although a very complex family of compounds, all amines use a nitrogen atom as a foundation.

This is hardly bleeding edge tech... I suspect nothing is new, except for the dumb ad campaign. (OK, maybe they increased the amount of 'stuff' in their mix by 2%...)

-Humbug!

Reply to
Greg Campbell

We discussed this extensively on an RV newsgroup and came to pretty much the same conclusions. Nitrogen gas is going to do nothing and the Shell website about there new gasoline is almost completely free of content.

Several knowledgeable posters suggested it was probably just an additive -- probably a nitrogen compound such as nitrotoluene or nitrobenzene. These can act as powerful solvents and also would tend to raise the octane number.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Why do you think 'nitrogen' means nitrogen in a gaseous form? The facts are you have no idea what you are talking about. Sure, Shell does not reveal what nitrogen based additive is the basis of their claim but that does not make their claim invalid. Until you have some facts to share, why not keep quiet?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

usenet has no barriers to entry dude. anybody can just show up and evidence their ignorance, non-analytical thinking and herd-like fear of their unknown.

Reply to
jim beam

Very true. Just look at nearly any of the posts made by 'jim beam' to confirm this.

Reply to
Dan C

When one says "nitrogen." that's what one means. Nitrogen is an element. In gaseous form and standard temperature and pressure, it is a molecule formed of two nitrogen atoms joined by a double covalent bond. In this form it is relatively unreactive. The atmosphere is about 78% nitrogen.

I have some idea of what I am talking about.

They did not say nitrogen based additive, they said "nitrogen enriched."

Here is a tinyurl link to their page supposed "explaining" this new gasoline.

I could not find any use of the words "nitrogen based additive" or "nitrogen compound" or "nitrogenated hydrocarbon."

My guess was clearly speculation. Having facts and keeping quiet have never been standard operating procedure for Usenet. It certainly has not hindered anybody posting to this group in the several years I have been reading it, and occasionally contributing.

However, I stand by my guess of nitrobenzene or something similar. Nitrobenzene is an effective solvent, it is relatively inexpensive, it mixes with water and gasoline, it would raise the octane number, and is not known to be carcinogenic.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

WTF??

Until you can 'contribute' without taking shots at people, why don't YOU STFU?

You sound an awful lot like our resident Rabid Net Kook, JB. Are you one of his sock puppets?

Reply to
Greg Campbell

The Houston Chronicle quotes Shell this way:

"Nitrogen is a key element of the active cleaning molecule in the new fuel, making it significantly more stable at higher temperatures common in modern engines, such as direct fuel-injection gasoline engines. The increased stability ensures that the molecule can work under much tougher engine conditions by resisting thermal breakdown better than conventional cleaning additives."

To me, this says the additive they're talking about CONTAINS nitrogen, not that it IS nitrogen.

Reply to
Paul

he's an astronomy teacher, not a chemistry teacher.

Reply to
jim beam

Do you seriously think that Shell lintend to mislead by claiming they have some 'magical formula' to fix gaseous nitrogen in gasolene? Incidentally the information on nitrogen was not necessary :-) but thanks anyway.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Yes, I think Shell, like all purveyors of products, is trying to mislead us into thinking their product is somehow superior to all the others. It may be. But I still maintain that they are simply adding some inexpensive nitrogenous solvent and doing a spiffy routine with smoke and mirrors to convince us it really makes a difference. Do seriously think they are not?

By the way, not that anybody gives a rat's patootie, but I have also taught high school chemistry.