Show cars having specific features?

I also included Edmunds user ratings, but if you like, here's Motor Trend's early take ...

"After a first drive of the new 2006 Passat, there's every reason it should face the challenge for best-selling midsizer from anywhere. This is a mature, fully textured driver's car, appealing on every level."

Of course. But I'll talk all the help I can get!

Depending on the implementation, traction control is a performance feature and stability control can be an overly restrictive safety feature.

I love these tires, and they do seem to fit well even if they're a tad wider than an "officially" supported size. Great stopping power. We had a mild winter here, and I'd like the traction control for when we're not so lucky.

Do they really pull 110w vs 25w for the DRL? Some have said this eats into fuel economy.

Had I to do it all over again, I would surely go that way.

There's the rub though. You get 16" tires and alloys with the EX, but you're still stuck with the rubber that Honda picks for you and the stock Honda alloys. By carefully picking the replacement tires and wheels, I dropped over five pounds unsprung mass on each corner.

Want an S2000? It's gonna be a manual, and it only comes in the 6x flavor.

Want a TSX Manual? It only comes in a six speed.

Want the EX with a V6 and manual?

That means you get six forward gears.

I think Honda is trying to tell me something.

That will make me a happy camper. I see no reason we sould be second class citizens in the features department compared to Toyota and VW.

I've read the review, and have to cry FOUL!!

They stuck the GTI with the ContiProContact Grand Touring All-Season, which suck huge monkey nuts compared to the Ultra High Performance Summer Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s on the Honda.

Checking in at TireRack, it seems that they did this test comparing the Honda wearing ultra performance tires that scored fifth out of a category of 46, versus the Continental tires which could only muster sixth out of 17 in a much lower performing tire category.

The results would have tilted much more favorably in the GTI's direction with equivalent tires.

This is a failing that the Passat does not suffer. And what is interesting about the Passat/Jetta/GTI treo is that they weigh in within about 100 pounds of one another, while looking quite different.

I'm not in that big a hurry to go chasing after VWs until they get back some of the quality control they turned loose with the 2004 model. But who knows? Maybe they'll iron out some kinks with the 2007 models ...

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

Compared to the usual standards in US cars, where cornering is generally something to be endured rather than enjoyed, they would say that.

I remember reading a review of the MG-ZT-280 a few years back, it said something like "This car isn't available in America, which is a shame, since it would be a top seller there. It has the power and drivetrain from the [new] mustang, but it also knows how to actually go around a corner" Shame Mg went bust really.

Try lessosn, they work much better than any box of gadgets (and thats from someone that designs gadgets)

TRaction control is the OPPOSITE of a performance feature. have a look at somewhere like top gear - they run the cars around a lap from a standing start, cars where the traction control can't be turned off do poorly, because they can't be turned off.

So does having the radio on, your dashboard lights up above minimum,

the 85W difference is slightly over 0.1HP (1Hp = 746W) its a HUGE deal. Secondly, use the FIRST stop, instead of the second stop. remember, those little orange lights you have across the front?

Reply to
flobert

I must have missed the part where they describe the Passat as particularly sporty.

Deamers. Camry may move 500,000 units of their 2007s.

Perhaps you might consider winter tires rather than traction control?

Don't turn on your stereo or open a window if max. mpg is what you are after. How many mpgs are those high performance tires stealing from you? During an hour's drive how many seconds at 75 mph (vs. 65 mph cruising) would burn the equivalent additional fuel required by having your lights on for an hour? Nonsensical, isn't it?

Stuck? If you don't like OEMs on the EX, replace them, just like you did on the LX. Depending upon the weight of the OEM alloys you could use them for your summer or winter wheels.

That their engines lack torque?

This is true.

Maybe. 400 lb. is a lot of weight to work around.

No, the Passat has some sort of electronic control that doesn't sound like a mechanical LSD to me.

You are implying that prior to 2004 VWs had good quality. I'm not sure you'll find much to support that. And you fail to mention the notoriously bad VW dealerships.

The average transaction price of the 2007 Passat will probably be close to that of the 2007 Infiniti G35. Why would you even consider the Passat? Ditto the low end of the BMW 3-Series and Lexus IS 250. Any of these RWD sedans would be tons more fun than the Passat. The G35 will certainly be faster with something in excess of 300 HP.

Oh yeah. This is a Honda group. Sorry.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

Agreed. But a dangerous maneuvre in a very "safe" car with lots of clever electronics may still result in a crash. On the other hand, cautious driving in a wildly unstable machine isn't so nasty.

Or the other way around. Traction control isn't as effective as proper traction anyway. It's a shortcut and it isn't as effective in 99% of cases.

Conventional traction control systems are just about useless in wintry conditions. A delicate foot and better tyres is much, much better.

It will even if slight. Thanks to the carbon credit regime, 1% makes a material difference.

That's the same with any manufacturer. You could go to the extreme of fitting lightweight semi-slicks, where they have superb grip and very low weight, if a little short in the longevity stakes... :)

It's the other way around with VAG. You (we) get reliability as standard...

Maybe. Alternatively they'll screw up elsewhere and have to cut costs again.

Reply to
DervMan

I've been looking at a some of the Green Diamond tires. Their embedded friction material goes all the way thru, as opposed to half way for the other similar offerings.

Now this is a good question. It was very hard for me to tell at first since the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S P225/55WR-16 turns 808 revs per mile compared to the stock Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 at 816 revs per mile. So between that and loss you'd normally expect from a wider / performance tire, it seemed like one mpg or so.

I offset some of the loss by running the current tires at a higher PSI in hopes of getting a better rolling resistance. I think it has helped.

As reported everywhere, slowing down saves at lot of gas at highway speeds. I do some driving on the local interstates and slowing down from 74 to 60-65 made a definite difference.

When comparing the specs of two different GTI models, I have to wonder where all the extra weight come from?

2006 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M) Gross Weight: 4340 lbs. Compact Coupe / Germany
2006 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M) Gross Weight: 3836 lbs. Compact Coupe / Brazil

The MSRP of the various Passat "value" packages are very affordable. MSRP is $22,950:

For the 2006 Infinity G35, MSRP is $33,800. Looks like a lovely car, but I don't have the extra $11k.

I've tried to be as specific as I can, providing URLs to back up any assertion that I make. If you're going to attack what I write, try responding with more than just your opinion.

Otherwise I'll need some citations that reference your status as a world renowned expert on cars if you expect me to accept your point of view as compelling.

+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing/Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
Reply to
Charles Lasitter

Honda has fantastic reliability, and I love the VTEC engine. I'd much rather have a Honda with a few more of the bells and whistles as standard than have a VW, given its current reliability issues.