Shudder/Lurching - 94 Civic

My 94 civic has never given me any problems until this past summer. I gave it a tuneup (changed spark plugs, the works) around May. About a week after, it started overheating, and it kept overheating and
overheating. We first thought it was the headgasket, but then we realized the fan was "bent"-ish (?) (it was replaced), replaced the radiator cap, all sorts of wires/tubing, whatever. (the honda place said that there was a "tiny bit" of water in the oil, but certain not enough if the headgasket had blown and been blown for three months). After that, it hasnt had any more problems. UNTIL . . .
Last week, I started it up, and it made this shuddering, lurching kind of motion - really hesitating (still in park). I turned off, then restarted it, and it was fine and drove fine. But periodically, when I start it (especially in the mornings when I first get in it), it does the shuddering/lurching thing. If I leave it running, it can eventually go away, though I really dont like to even try it.
My husbands 99 Ford Escord was doing something like this, and then it threw a rod. Is that whats about to happen with my car? Is it related to my radiator problem? Do I actually have a blown headgasket? I have spent a ton of time trying to fix this problem, and it doesnt seem like its going away. Help?! Please?!
Does it exhibit this behavior after it has rained or is very damp? It may be misfiring (only two or three cylinders firing) until it gets warm enough to dry the ignition. Dan
(This account is not used for email.)
kmk ( snipped-for-privacy@000.com) writes:

kmk wrote:

-------------------------------------
It's not a panic! You've probably got one dribbling injector, and it's causing the engine to be FLOODED in the AM, especially on Monday morning, right? Just run a can of Techron injector cleaner through it twice a year and you'll be fine. Here in Canada, I run a tank of Mohawk Gasohol through mine a few times a year. Same reason.
Next time it doesn't want to fire up really fast try holding the pedal to the floor (per the owner's manual) while cranking.
Meantime, since you've had overheating troubles, keep a close eye on your coolant reservoir. The MAX mark is the easiest place to view it, so I like to keep it that full and it never moves, hot or cold.
'Curly'

It seems to me any competent shop could do a compression/leakdown test and see if a cylinder has leakage and possibly a blown head gasket.And use a dye in the coolant to verify.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
kmk wrote:

suspect blown head gasket. get a chemical test done on the coolant. hondas typically don't get oil in the water - open deck design.