Signs that side and front engine mounts are bad?

I know my rear engine mount is bad from the way the engine vibrates when I am in reverse.

As I replace the rear mount how do I know if the other mounts are also in need of change?

Thanks, Tim

91 Accord 173k
Reply to
Tim

Before you condemn the mount... is this an automatic transmission vehicle? If so, the rear mount is hydraulic and the problem may be in the control system.

Take a look at the mount. If there is a lever on the top of it and a vacuum tube, it is a hydraulic mount. That lever should be in one position - firm - most of the time and in the other - soft - at idle in gear. Often that lever gets stiff and oil may or may not fix it. In addition, be sure vacuum is applied when idling in gear. The hose or the valve that controls the mount would be suspect if the vacuum is absent or weak.

Haynes says an expert is needed to troubleshoot the hydraulic mount system, but the real Honda manual available from helminc.com has the simple procedure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

But I don't see a lever. Could that be just on other year models?

I see the vacuum hose to the mount going into a round case, about the diameter of a half-dollar, at the base of the mount. There is virtually no vacuum present in the tube as it goes into the mount (at idle in gear.)

Thanks Mike.

Reply to
Tim

I don't see a lever. Could that be just on other year models?

I see the vacuum hose to the mount going into a round case, about the diameter of a half-dollar, at the base of the mount. There is virtually no vacuum present in the tube as it goes into the mount (at idle in gear.)

Thanks Mike.

Reply to
Tim

At least this leads you to places that are easier to see and get at :-)

The hose is easy enough to follow up to the control valve, located near the top of the firewall right in the center. The valve gets vacuum from that short hose that connects it to the intake plenum. The connector has only two pins, that should have something like 12 volts across them when the engine is idling. (I must have been wrong about having to be in gear. In addition, the troubleshooting flow chart requires the engine to be warmed up; the radiator fan runs at least twice.) The vacuum is shut off by the valve when the engine is above 700 or 750 rpm.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee