Spark plug question for a Civic.

I've got a 2002 Civic LX 5sp and am getting great gas mileage, but it's time to change out the plugs at 110k, so checked at the auto parts store and they must of had a dozen choices that would replace my stock plugs. I understand my stock plugs are the long life Iridium plugs that cost

12.75 to replace each which I have no problem putting back in , but was wondering if any body has experience with some other choices like the Bosch Platinum's, Denso or some of the other NGK choices. Did your MPG increase, stay the same or get worse. I mostly looking for a plug that might increase my mileage, the long life plugs are nice to have , but changing plugs out on my Civic is so easy and think it's a good way to check the health of my high mileage Civic ever so often. Thanks for any advice.
Reply to
Rob

The chatter on this here, and my own experience with my 91 Civic, is that the plugs that the car's owner's manual says to use are best for gas mileage and the car. Longer-life versions don't affect gas mileage.

Anecdotal reports have not been favorable to Bosch.

"Rob" wrote

mileage, but it's

auto parts store and

stock plugs.

plugs that cost

in , but was

choices like the Bosch

mostly looking for

are nice to have

it's a good way to

Thanks for any

Reply to
Elle

---------------------------------

Stick to the recommended plugs. Platinums or V-groove are good too.

Putting Bosch plugs in your Honda might cause the 'VW virus' to get into your electrical system . . . . then you'll have to drive around with one headlight burnt out and your power windows stuck in the 'down' position. :-) Next you'll want to start wearing Birkenstocks.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"Putting Bosch plugs in your Honda might cause the 'VW virus' to get into your electrical system . . . . then you'll have to drive around with one headlight burnt out and your power windows stuck in the 'down' position."

You gotta be kinding me Curly, "'VW virus' to get into your electrical system" is this true? My entire Dash Cluster is out (no miles, trip, turning signal, clock, or temp) is working.

Reply to
mopa

Only reason I stepped away from the recommended plugs is because of performance. True factory recommendations are the way to go for long life and good gas mileage but for someone who runs their Honda only once a week (2 miles worth at the drag strip) then that would be a good reason to switch types. I second staying away from Bosch plugs and I still have that head and what remained of the plug to prove it.)

Reply to
Spoonless Shell

Do we really need to replace plugs? What happens if you don't? The reason why I'm saying this is because so many times, a car is running great, then a recommended interval comes up (I don't mean oil or any kind of filters) like plugs or auto tranny fluid that makes the car run like do-do. I think when it comes to certain things, like plugs, if it ain't broke, don't screw it up.

Just my opinion, but I think replacing spark plugs per the maintenance schedule, and with Honda recommended ones, is a small cost for insurance to maximize the ignition coil life.

There is documentation that old or otherwise faulty ignition wires will shorten the coil life. So that deteriorated spark plugs would do the same seems reasonable.

And once the coil starts failing, I would be worried about what it's doing to the igniter.

Elle Original and sole owner, 1991 Civic LX, 173+k miles.

"t" wrote

don't? The reason

running great, then a

kind of filters) like

do-do. I think when

don't screw it

Reply to
Elle

I always ran Bosch plugs in my old BMW and had over 200,000 miles and the engine ran like a new car when I sold it. Are you talking about the Bosch Platinums? Which I heard can run hotter than standard Bosch plugs.

Reply to
Rob

Good point.