Special Wrench required?

Do you require a special wrench to remove the oil drain plug on a 2004 V-6 Accord? I used a 17mm socket on it and ended up stripping the head on the bolt.
No way would it come lose.

Is that one of those 12-point socket heads Honda uses?
Mike
Honda has a habit of overtightening bolts. Get a quality six point socket of the correct size.

That's what I was thinking. Over- tightened! They must have really hammered it home, because I was using the correct size and it was a 6 point decent quality socket. It just wouldn't move. Oh well off to the dealer to get a replacement bolt. In the meantime I have to figure out how to remove the existent bolt with the damaged head. Any ideas?

Pipe wrench.
That would do it, but no room for the pipe wrench.

Jack wrote:

You might have luck with one of these sockets, http://tinyurl.com/bx8p4 . They essentially function as an inverted easy-out. Note that you can pick up a set of similar sockets at sears for about the price of just one of the Snap-On units. However, the last time I was at sears they told me that their twist sockets were not covered by their lifetime guarantee and they don't sell them individually. Go figure, it sounds to me like a way to sell more sets of tools. Of course, these issues may or not be important to you and if you're likely to only use the socket a couple of times, then inexpensive sans guarantee may be the way to go.
Eric
That will work! Thanks everybody.

Try using a Vise Grips or a Gorilla Grip Socket. But go to your Honda dealer to get a replacement plug, or one of those Fram easy change spouts.

pick
they

I use pipe wrenches from 6 inches to 4 feet.
No room at all?