Spoiler LED Wire type

Page 2 of 2
jim beam wrote:

Here, I believe, is the problem (as I mentioned in my first response).
As written by Guest on 1/09/2007
"I installed a spoiler on my car and when I first installed it, the light did not come one and I later found out that I put the wires on in reverse and blew a fuse. Some of the wiring even melted. I corrected the problem and it was working correctly. Then yesterday, I bought a splitter for the cigarette light plug so that I can plug in a radar detector and a cell hone at the same time. As I was backing out of the lot, I noticed that the spoiler light was not on. I had just plugged the splitter in the socket before I started the car up. I checked and the wires were melted again and were still very warm to the touch. This time, the fuse was not blown. "
Methinks that Guest and other items, like water, should be kept away from electrical devices.

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013
Guest wrote:

LED's are light-emitting DIODES, and if you've ever run juice through a diode backwards, they may be shorted, which will keep on blowing up the wiring, no matter if its thin or heavier.
Remove the + and ground connections from your car and try powering the diodes directly from another 12 V source, like a different battery. Put a fuse in the line (as you suggested) or just a tail light bulb (way better), since the LED's are supposed to take way less current than a light bulb and if the light comes on bright, you know the diodes are indeed shorted to death.
Don't bother trying a battery charger as your power source. . many don't put out any power unless they are connected to a half-ways alive battery.
'Curly'