SRS light on '01 Civic

I recently completed 80K miles on my '01 Civic and the SRS light came on. I haven't been any accidents, so I'm not sure how come it come on out of the blue. Need help on what are the various causes for the light to come on? I'm just trying to get an idea before getting ripped off by a dealer. I read a number of posts on how to reset it, but if I do, will the airbags still deploy in case of an accident?

Reply to
dman

--------------

Does you owner's manual mention anything about carrying heavy items on the passenger's seat? Resetting it is like restarting Windows to make it work (as if).

It doesn't disable anything.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

dman wrote in news:9ffe809d-f77f-461a-8c49-51adb4a886c2 @d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Nothing to do with that.

Because the airbag ECU saw something wrong, so it disabled the bags and lit up the lamp so you would know.

Need help on what are the various causes for the

About 100,000 of them. Or so it seems.

The ripoff dealer has copies of the half-dozen (or so it seems) TSBs detailing known problems with the SRS system in your model. 06-009 is the main one as far as I know.

Plus there is at least one warranty extension involving the SRS. That means a FREE fix for you! Free fixes are only available at the ripoff dealer, not at non-ripoff joints like Jiffy Lube or Firestone.

Visit your friendly neighborhood ripoff dealer for more.

Maybe. Provided there is no underlying problem resetting the light would mask. Your ripoff dealer knows how to fix your car.

Reply to
Tegger

The SRS light comes on because something failed. As long as the light is ON the air bags are disabled. The code has to be read from the control unit to determine what has failed. So take it to the dealer or a good service garage and have the code read Then they can determine what it will cost to fix.

Reply to
Woody

My friend and Ii both had '01 Accords. Both had the SRS light come on within 500 miles of each other.

Both were the seatbelt latch. This is covered under warranty forever. Don't let any dealer bullshit you. Mine tried to. Told me it wasn't covered. I hand an independent replace it, then I found out it WAS covered. I called American Honda, and they paid me the amount I paid the local shop to do it.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man