SRS light on Civic

I have a 98 Civic. I was doing some work on the ignition switch so I disabled the the airbags (SRS) as per my Haynes manual. Disconnected battery negative, then positive, then undid the connector at the steering
Went to enable system again, and did negative first, then positive (opposite is supposed to be done). SRS light remained on. Repeated it three times more, with correct sequence. However, second time, ignition key was in the "1" position instead of "0". SRS light remains on!!!
Help!! Any ideas? Things to check, things I might have fried?
Frank van Hoof