SRS Unit Failure?

I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX with 52,000 miles on it.......the SRS light stays on so I called the Dealer and was told the up front cost to run the diagnostics was $71.00 and that would be deducted from any actual repairs. Ok so the Code was 07-2 and 07-3 which means SRS Unit Failure and the cost to replace is $549.82!!!!!!!!!!

I was shocked as the car has never been in a wreak and has low miles. I asked the service guy if it was common to replace the SRS Unit and he said no it is rare....so I think ok than maybe it's a defect in the Manufacturing process and they should replace it for free nope it's past the 3 year warranty. Well I said forget it for now and he suggested I call the 1-800 number for customer service and maybe they will cut me a break.....I think fat chance but it's worth a try.

I would like to research the failure rates for this part number and or get the OEM name so I can check them out, the part number is 77960-S04-N81

Thanks for any ideas and or help!

Donna

Reply to
DAB

Did they reset the light, and if so, is it staying off? If it stays off, don't worry about it. Sometimes low battery voltage will set the light. I got the same story on a '95 Accord two months ago but the light hasn't come back on. BTW, they charged me $110 to reset the light and quoted me $700 for the SRS unit. I think this is a big $ maker for dealers.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Yes they reset it but said that is no guarantee the bags or belts will work....was that a scare tactic? I think your right....what a racket and I will file a complaint at

tomorrow and call the1-800 number....this is my third Honda and have been very happy....startedwith a 1982 Prelude. Oh so far it is staying off. Thanks! Donna

Reply to
DAB

They questioned whether the /belts/ would still work???

Reply to
Randolph

Yes

Reply to
DAB

Shameless, scumbag scare tactics. If they aren't working, why doesn't the light come back on? And the SRS is for the airbags, not the seatbelts. I'd report them for telling you crap like that. My dealer reamed me for $110, but at least he didn't try scare tactics. Furthermore, Honda has a lifetime seatbelt warranty, so tell them if it affects the seatbelts then they need to fix it under warranty. If you do, they will quickly back off on any assertation that the SRS affects the seatbelts.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

LOL ok so I assume if they reset the light that means they kinda did a reboot like on a computer so as long as the light stays off the SRS system or whatever it is, is working?

Reply to
DAB

the srs unit also monitors the seat belts, if there is a problem it would let you know. I work for the company that makes them.

Reply to
kingnoone

"DAB" wrote in news:vLl5e.3539$ox3.2026@trnddc03:

As far as the belts go, most definitely YES.

The belts are controlled by a mechanical inertia sensor, unrelated in any way to the sodium azide explosives in your steering wheel. And they are explosives, you know. It is illegal under federal law to possess sodium azide outside of an airbag assembly that is installed in a motor vehicle.

IF, and this is a big IF, the SRS computer is bad (highly unlikely), the ONLY thing that would be affected as far as the belts go is the pretensioners. IF the pretensioners are not operational because the SRS computer is inoperative, your belts will continue to operate just like any belts did prior to about 1998.

IF the bags are inoperative, you have about a 5% greater chance of serious injury or death in a collision than you would have if the bags were operative. And considering the probability of being involved in a fatal or injurious collision is less than that of being struck by lightning, that added 5% is tiny indeed.

It astonishes me how frightened people get these days over this crap. When I was a kid, our cars DID NOT EVEN HAVE SEAT BELTS. We rode UNRESTRAINED IN ANY WAY, in the front seat, back seat, all over the US and Canada. Yeesh.

Reply to
TeGGer®

"DAB" wrote in news:kFF5e.569$jd6.314@trnddc07:

Or protective ass-covering. America's stupid winner-pays legal system is rather predatory, you know.

If they aren't working, why

It's also for the belt pretensioners. Take a look at those bright yellow connectors on yours and you'll see.

If the error does not recur, the system is fine.

In any finely-tuned electrical system, electrical transients will cause intermittent errors. Such transients are outside the system's normal range and will cause the system to set an error code.

The accepted procedure is to reset the computer. If the error does not recur (which is the usual result), it was a transient. If it does, then there may be a real problem with the system.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Yep I have fond memories of the back seat and no seat belts......I turned out ok ;)

Agree.....I would be more likely to die from the air bag impact...I am only

5 feet tall and inorder to see I sit close to the steering wheel....actually I would feel safer it the damn thing was disconnected.

Thanks for your insights and I won't worry about it

Oh and thanks for the link too!

Reply to
DAB

Ok that makes sense.

Reply to
DAB

If the auto industry wasn't concerned about the legal system we probably wouldn't have seatbelts, much less airbags, to worry about. It's long been said that safety doesn't sell. But lawyers will get their attention. Notice that you don't see Firestones on Fords anymore. I'm not saying that's right, but it is part of the evolution of the automobile industry.

I don't think my '95 has pretensioners. I certainly can't find any reference to it in the owner's manual, my two repair manuals, or the original sales brochure. Perhaps the OP's '96 has them. At any rate, the seatbelts will still work without the pretensionsers.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

did anyone ever notice how the 03 exploder with the independent rear suspension came out the previous february not september? coincidence???

/any/ vehicle should be able to remain upright in the event of a sudden blowout, regardless of cause. firestone got hosed for something that wasn't their problem.

Reply to
jim beam

Speaking from an Electronics/Communications Technician's standpoint, the=20 automotive system is one of the harshest environments to operate=20 electronic devices. Lots of electrical noise and transients to cause=20 problems.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Hunt

"DAB" wrote in news:jNH5e.1021$Zn3.594@trnddc02:

If you are of short stature, you can apply for permission from the NHTSA to have your bag disconnected. It is well known that small individuals are in great danger from airbags because of their need to sit close to the wheel, hence the NHTSA's height allowance.

However, according to this page:

must be 4' 6" or less to qualify for legal disconnection. Canada has no federal requirement for airbags, so in most places they may be disconnected without legal or insurance penalties, and without need for permits. Most garages will do it for you for about $40.

Make sure you are sitting at LEAST 10 inches away from your frontal airbag to help minimize injury.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Cool I will check it out.

Well dang .......

Hummmm

Ok I am within that range but still have concerns.

Thanks your info is very informative!

Donna

Reply to
DAB