Steep incline: Park facing uphill or downhill?

Page 1 of 2
I have a driveway that is about a 35 degree angle down. Is it better to park it so that the front faces down or back in so the front faces up?

dgk wrote:

Depends whether you live in a place where snow or ice are factors, and whether you're a morning person or not. Pulling out of your driveway in the morning might be safest going forward, for safer entry into traffic. Backing out of a driveway is illegal in most jurisdictions.
You haven't told us half the info we would need to know. Is your car sitting on a flat 'pad' or is it on the slope too?
Should have asked on Wednesday....
'Curly'
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:22:36 -0600, "'Curly Q. Links'"

The car sits on the driveway, which is at the angle. Parking is tough around here but we sure have no rules on pulling out forwards or backwards.
Those aren't issues and I should have been more specific, I was concerned that the car might be damaged parked on a hill all the time. Perhaps the oil all flows forward or back, or the radiator drains, or transmission fluid pushes up against a seal. Something like that.

Are you sure about that? Aside from the rules of the road, it's a matter of safety (for yourself and the other motorists on the road.

66, which requires backing out into traffic.
Mike

I find that interesting that it's not against the law, just based on the safety issue.
Brian Smith wrote:

A lot of older sections in cities all over the nation have diagonal parking. Even here in "progressive" Austin, TX. I avoid it like the plague...
JT

I can see reverse in diagonal parking but not drive in parking. Reversing is one of the major causes of collisions and property/personal damages at any time.
Brian Smith wrote:

Whenever I pull into a regular parking lot, I always stop so that I simply pull out. At home, I always back into the parking spot and simply pull out into traffic. Simpler, safer and easier...
JT

Exactly!

Wow! I want to live there - for parking anyway. Here in Flagstaff I can do that about 2/3 of the time (the regular parking lot, that is) while many times it is hard to find a parking spot at all.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Well, you do have to choose an appropriate time to shop.
Parking lots in Austin are probably the worst designed in the country. A lot of big box stores have only *one* entrance/exit. Also, many lots do not offer access to neighboring lots.
Figures when you have a city council more concerned with artsy-fartsy aesthetics over functionality...
JT
(Who is so happy that he moved fifteen miles outta town...)

That is serious steep, are you sure about the angle?
I'm betting forward or back, you'll have brake and/or tranny failures in short order, much less oil flow problems. But if you *have* to do that, it is an interesting question.
J.

(rowhouses are what we call them) and many of them have the garage in the basement, so there is a fairly steep driveway leading down. Almost no one uses the garage, that's for storage. Everyone keeps the car in the driveway. In about twenty feet the driveway drops down nine feet or so.
I've had my 91 Accord in the driveway for years, facing downhill. The only noticeable problem was when I had water inside the car after a flood in a parking lot and made the mistake of pulling into the driveway. The slight amout of water in the passenger side flowed forward, hit the wiring harness located by the passenger's feet, and shorted out the computer. That was about two months ago. With the advice of folks on this newsgroup I ended up getting a computer at the junkyard and the car is fine.
But during the two weeks that the car was dead, I started looking for another car and sort of fell in love with the Fit. And I've ordered one. So now that I'm starting with a new car I'd like to treat it as good as possible, and thus the question about which way is better to park it. I'm sure that the answer is to use the garage, but then where would the bikes and surfboards go?

Park any way your heart desires. Your car's systems don't care.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Disclaimer: wedding cakes don't count as "cars' systems."
-- R Flowers

LOL
The voice of experience speaking here?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

As my wife and I design and deliver Wedding Cakes, I can say (based on experience) that Wedding Cakes truly don't care what the angle of a driveway is, as long as the driver uses proper care and control of the vehicle while negotiating the driveway. {;^)
Brian Smith
Cakes by Darlene http://www.cakesbydarlene.ca
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:05:44 GMT, "Brian Smith"

A friend of mine once worked as a pie delivery man. One day he rounded a corner too quickly; it was supposedly not a pretty sight.

I had a woman driver cut me off one day. I had to return home to have my wife repair the damage to the icing on the cake (it wasn't pretty either).