Steering alignment

Hi Folks,

I replaced two of the tires which were really worn out and i did not want to take a chance with the buffalo winter. The other two tires were brand new when I had purchased the car 6-7 months back. I had the new tires put on the front and the old ones at the back. But having the new tires on the front dis-aligns my streering. Once I put the old tires back on the front, the streering again aligns properly. Now the question is why would only the new tires create an alignment problem? Should I get a steering alignment done with the new tires at the front? If I do that, would it dis-align the steering again when I rotate the tires?

Reply to
Jimmy

More likely, the old tires are worn badly to match the poor alignment. I found the same thing with my '87 Accord - the tires that came with it were very badly worn on the inside due to extreme negative camber caused by the previous owner chopping the springs to lower it over 2". After I put new struts in the front to level it back up, the steering became very stiff... until I put new tires on, and it loosened right up.

Solution: have an alignment done.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Thanks for your response. When I get the alignment done and 6 months down the line when I rotate the tites...would I not have an alignment problem again? I have 03 Accord EX, NA.

Reply to
Jimmy

You might or might not have steering issues if you put them back on the front in 6 months. While they are on the back, they will tend to wear off the parts that are wrong as a result of the previous bad alignment and eventually will be back to normal. If you put them back on the front and it behaves badly, you should check them for tread separation or other damage, then just live with it until they wear down to being right again. You never want to change the alignment to accommodate a weirdly worn tire.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks guys for your insights. I got the alignment done. The alignment was way off with toe being 0.52 for left front tore and 0.32 for right front tire. The suggested range is +- 0.08. I am just pretty satisfied with it now. I am so surprised that the dealer was not able to figure such a simple thing out.

Reply to
Jimmy

I'd be worried about a tire dealer who didn't recognize poor alignment just from the wear patterns on the old tires.

Reply to
Matt Ion