sticky accelerator pedal in honda 97 civic

hello all,

i have a 97 civic with only 41,000 miles on it, and i have a problem with the accelerator pedal, it's sticks a little when i first start to depress it. when it finally releases it makes for some herky jerky acceleratriosn in 1st. i had this problem a few years ago, the dealer said i needed a major replacement of something , i forget what. i took it ti a garage and they did something that "unstuck it" by cleaning it out . . . said it was a common problem. so, what to do? pay the dealer? take it to a garage? or is this something i can clean out myself without too much major surgery? thanks for help - fj

Reply to
frank

----------------------------------

Do a google search for honda throttle body cleaning. Condensates are gluing it shut overnight. A can of techron injector cleaner should be used at least twice a year to keep other stuff clean.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

How about a couple of tanks of Chevron gas, at least after a cleanout?

OP - for information, what kind of gas do you usually buy?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

hi, used to buy mobile gas but had the problembefore anyway . . . lately i just buy the cheapest gas i can find -- hess, getty, etc-- does that really matter? would be great if some fancy super hi test gas would do the trick! talk to me :-) ==fj

Reply to
frank

Chevron gas has that injector cleaner stuff in it. Not sure if it will clear a problem, at least not quickly, but it should pretty much prevent them, as I understand it, or at least put it off as long as possible.

Back in the day, Union 76 gas would clog my carbueretor quickly, and almost anything else would clear it. Gas can make the difference. Cousin had the same experience on hearing my story and switching off the 76.

I started buying Chevron because I like their pay at the pump system, and noticed the car really did seem to run a little better on it. Have been using it almost exclusively for some time. Maybe costs a dollar per tank, whatever.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

If they are, then oil is getting into the throttle body, suggesting a plugged PCV system or excessive blowby.

The throttle body ought to stay dusty dry all the time. Gunk is abnormal.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

That's been my experience, too. I had an '84 Nissan 300ZX that would get rough and the clutch would get touchy if I used gas from the 76 on the corner for a few months. A single tank of Texaco or Chevron would straighten it right out for a few more months.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee