Sticky ECU Code 14

Hello, a friend's 1996 Honda City (with an engine almost identical to the D16Y7, 4cyl SOHC manual) recently had an uncontrollable high idle. The ECU said code 14 (IAC), so they replaced the IAC valve (3-pin,
rotary).
However it still keeps blinking the same code, and I tried resetting the ECU (overnight!) and even pulling other sensors, but it keeps blinking code 14, and won't blink any other error even when other sensors are disconnected.
What could be the problem? Thanks so much.

I'm thinking a hefty vacuum leak into the intake manifold. That would cause a high idle and make the ECU think the IAC wasn't responding because the ECU had ordered a lower idle and the IAC wasn't delivering on that. A close visual inspection of hoses on the intake manifold is a good place to start. Cracks right at the ends are most common.
Mike

Is the idle still high?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Thanks for the responses.
Tegger, we haven't started the engine yet. The error code appears when the ignition key is in the 'On' position. We've already tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight to "clear" the code, we also tried (in desperation) connecting the old IACV, but the code won't go away. I also tried disconnecting the TP and MAP sensors, but it still blinks "14" (IAC). I checked the resistance of the new IAC and one pair of terminals read 19 ohms, all other pairs read open. Could it be a bad ECU?
Mike: I wish it were, but the code appears even before we start the engine. We haven't done that yet, because we're worried the ECU may be bad.
Tomorrow I'm going to try disconnecting the same sensors on a Civic of the same series (EK) and see what error pops up.
The owner is really worried, knowing the cost of a new ECU..
sharx333 wrote:

dude, start the engine to see if you've fixed the problem first!!! if not, /then/ worry about the code. and if replacement doesn't cure, check the wiring.
also, make sure your coolant level is correct.

Definitely, start the engine. The ECU can't know whether the IAC valve is working until the engine is started. If it idles okay and the light is still on, drive it a while or reset the code manually and see if it returns.
In the unlikely event the ECU is bad - they rarely fail unless they get wet - a replacement usually costs about $75 to $150 US at a wrecking yard. Prices vary that widely, so call around. It should come with a 30 day replacement guarantee in case of an intermittent. If it works 30 days it will probably work forever.
BTW - where is this located? I think all of North America was using OBDII in 1996, and 14 is the OBDI code for IAC valve signal.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Hmm. I think it's already OBD-II, but the CEL light is on so we jumped the SCS connector, and the CEL blinked one long and 4 short blinks. Am I reading it correctly?

Ah - I heard there were some versions that could be read as either OBDII or OBDI, and this must be one of those. That should be the correct reading. There is a manual for Japanese import OBDI reading at http://www.iequus.com/downloads/manuals/3173_ICCR_E_14JAN03.pdf and Hondas are on pages 16-25 of the PDF.
Mike
Jumping the SCS connector reads out the ABS codes or the SRS codes depending on which light you are looking at, NOT the engine codes. You need to read the engine codes with an OBDII tester. ABS14 is left front wheel sensor, SRS 1-4 is short in driver air bag inflator..You can't flash engine codes on any OBDII vehicle I know if.

Didn't see it was not a US vehicle.....

Woody wrote:

might not be available on that vehicle - we've had questions regarding vehicles from that market before - they're not what we're used to here. from what i can tell, the code is being read correctly.

You obviously don't know of very many OBD-II cars then. All Nissans and Hondas to this day still have a way to flash engine codes. Per the FSM for my '06 CR-V, you can flash codes by shorting the SCS line (with something called an HDS). '96 was the first year for ODB-II and the SCS connector is still separate and readily available on those models.
On 12/30/06 1:02 PM, in article

Yes you are. Honda outside North America does not use the OBD-II DLC system; they retain the more sensible MIL-flash method.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

Start the engine. Does it run OK?
What country are you in?

You won't wreck the ECU just by startng the car.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

We're in the Philippines (Southeast Asia). The car is a 96 City, manual. The engine is the same in every respect to a D16Y7, except it's only 1.3L, not 1.6. Hope we read the trouble code correctly.
Will try starting it tomorrow, will post back on how it goes..