Stolen Civic Si

After 4 1/2 years of happy ownership, what I'd long been wary of came to pass - my 2000 Civic Si was stolen yesterday in broad daylight from a parking garage in Houston, just a few steps away from and in plain view of a heavily-trafficked mall entrance. I'd always been careful of where I parked it, knowing that EM1 Hondas are serious thief magnets, but didn't think I was in a particularly high-risk area when it happened. I was mistaken.

It was fully insured but will obviously be hard to replace, as it was in perfect mechanical condition with relatively low mileage (110K) and essentially stock and unmolested. The newer Si models just don't have the same appeal to me as the 99-00 ones do.

Seriously considering LoJack along with some additional active security measures for the next car I get.

Thieves suck.

Reply to
Dave Garrett

or, go do other things with your life.

Getting into an arms race with car thieves is a losing proposition. If you get a car they want, they *will* take it from you.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

so did they put it on a truck or did they drive it away? if the latter, you could have prevented it. but i'm sure you're after sympathy not analysis.

Reply to
jim beam

you are saying that an alarm system reacting to tilts would not have helped in the truck scenario?

Reply to
AD

Did you check to see if there is surveilance video? There are an awful lot of video cameras around. It probably won't get the car back but maybe.

Reply to
dgk

Jeebus guys, the poor vic is hurtin' and y'all are just twisting the knife. Have some heart;-)

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

Yep, the best you can hope for is to make it more difficult for them by slowing them down. I'd have settled for that, as in this particular scenario they'd have likely been deterred by anything that would have drawn unwanted attention to them in an area with heavy foot traffic.

The middle of the night in your driveway is a different story.

Reply to
Dave Garrett

They drove it away. And I'm very aware that it could have been prevented. Once bitten, twice shy.

Reply to
Dave Garrett

There is video but I haven't seen it yet. I was told there is footage of me driving into the garage and another Honda following me, and a few minutes later both cars leaving with my car following the other Honda closely. Not sure yet if the video is good enough to get plates on the other Honda.

Pretty much what I suspected, these guys knew exactly what they were doing and have likely done this before.

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Yep, the best you can hope for is to make it more difficult for them by slowing them down. I'd have settled for that, as in this particular scenario they'd have likely been deterred by anything that would have drawn unwanted attention to them in an area with heavy foot traffic.

The middle of the night in your driveway is a different story.

Researched the possibility of my 2005 S2000 being stolen -- apparently it has a low rate. But, a red S2000 would be rather hard to disguise I suppose.

Reply to
tww1491

Not with a 40 foot container around it.

Reply to
News

I think most of these cars go to "chop shops" parts are in demand. that's why a car a few yrs old is more likely to get stolen. Parts. Let's call recycling. Tuners be aware.

Reply to
man behind the curtain