Straight pipe on 98 Accord?

I'm thinking of replacing the catalytic converter on my 98 Accord with a straight pipe. Would anyone like to offer any pros or cons?
Thanks, Zeke

snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com wrote:

It will never pass an emissions test.

sensor complained the converter was not working right.
If you are in the US, be aware the EPA fines for being caught doing that would buy you several new Hondas or many dozens of catalytic converters.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com wrote in

What's the reason for doing it? Figure the cat's plugged or something?
The cat on our old '86 Toyota MR2 rusted out, so I had it replaced with a pipe for a few months until we sold the car. There was maybe 10% increase in exhaust noise, and no noticeable increase in power.
We got away with it because the computer had no idea if the cat was there or not. Your OBD-II car will complain loudly when the ECU gets the wrong signals from the downstream O2 sensor.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
snipped-for-privacy@insight.rr.com wrote in

For what purpose are you replacing the cat with the straight pipe? To save money by not buying a new cat,or for "more power"?
There ARE hi-flow cats available,and that would keep you legal AND your OBD-II system happy.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik