Strange electrical problem

I have a 2002 Honda civic dx. As the engine is revved up, the lights dim and the heater fan output actually decreases. This happens whether the car
is driven or at a stand still and the engine is revved. Alternator belt is tight, battery post are clean. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be.
Stan wrote:

I don't know the problem, but I have the same thing in a 1998 CRV. Honda must be doing something weird.
Stan wrote:

The belts on newer cars need to be WAY tight compared to 30 years ago. Search for 'honda ELD' to understand a lot more. Try www.tegger.com and search there.
'Curly'

It seems like your engine electrical lives off the battery when that happens. You can do a quick and simple test with a multimeter. A working charging system should read at least 13.5V (but no more than 14.5V) when the engine is running. If not then it may be a bad voltage regulator, a faulty rectifying diode pack, or a bad ELD sensor.
i have no experience with ELD system. i only know that in newer Hondas, the ECU turns off the charging system whenever it deems neccessary to reduce load on the engine and therefore to conserve fuel. In your case a bad ELD sensor may be the culprit. Do you see the "Check Engine" light on?