Suspension/chassis Problems on Civic 94

Everytime I either accelerate very hard or break very strong, I can hear some sounds on my right rear wheel area. It sounds as if the door doesnt lock properly and touches the frame of the body, but this is not the case...any ideas what the cause could be?

suspension (shocks)??? Is it possible to make no sounds when driving decent, over bumbs etc....but then while accelerating?

The sounds now appears also when I drive up the parking ramp...in this case the acceleration doesnt have to be that great...

Would be nice if one of you guys knows help, it starts to annoy me...

Reply to
falk

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Y"DuNNo"

falk wrote in news:1_500421 snipped-for-privacy@www.autoforumz.com:

Open the door slightly, grab it underneath and lift it up and down. Is there lots of play in the hinges? Worn hinges will cause rattling like that.

A test: Have your passenger open the door. Hold it mostly closed, but NOT latched. You want to prevent the door from being able to contact the frame and striker. Now accelerate and brake, go over bumps. Any noise now? Try the same with the driver's door.

Hold on tight to make sure the door does not swing out of your grasp as you perform this test. Roll window down so you can hold on there as well as at interior handle.

Hinge replacement is pretty easy, but the hinges are not cheap. Getting the door back on correctly is easy but time-consuming.

Reply to
TeGGer®

"tegger5" wrote: > falk wrote in > news:1_500421 snipped-for-privacy@www.autoforumz.com: > > > Everytime I either accelerate very hard or break very > strong, I can > > hear some sounds on my right rear wheel area. > > It sounds as if the door doesnt lock properly and touches > the frame of > > the body, but this is not the case...any ideas what the > cause could > > be? > > > > Open the door slightly, grab it underneath and lift it up and > down. Is > there lots of play in the hinges? Worn hinges will cause > rattling like > that. > > A test: Have your passenger open the door. Hold it mostly > closed, but NOT > latched. You want to prevent the door from being able to > contact the frame > and striker. Now accelerate and brake, go over bumps. Any > noise now? Try > the same with the driver's door. > > Hold on tight to make sure the door does not swing out of your > grasp as you > perform this test. Roll window down so you can hold on there > as well as at > interior handle. > > Hinge replacement is pretty easy, but the hinges are not > cheap. Getting the > door back on correctly is easy but time-consuming. > > > > -- > TeGGeR® > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

well, with a friend i tried lifting the door while driving and the sound did not disappear, but rather changed...It seems that it is something related to the door...

I changed the hinges (luckily they were not that expensive) but the problem remains....

everythime i eiter accelerate or drive up a ramp, a rattling sound (as if the door is lose) appears on the right side... can the problem be related to the shocks/wheel?

thanks a lot for the previous replys, i really need help...

Reply to
falk

falk wrote in news:1_509353 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

You don't "lift the door" while driving, you OPEN it to make the weight of the door take out all the slack in the hinges so they won't rattle. The door is just off the striker. If the rattle is still there, then it's not the hinges or door sealing rubbers.

And by the way, one thing I forgot to mention previously is that the condition of the door sealing rubbers is important. It has to be fully in place (not hanging loose) and not hardened or compressed, or else you'll get noise from that source as well. That sealing rubber helps keep the door from moving around in its frame. Yours are surely compressed and slightly hardened.

You can also get a similar noise from the hatchback, again due to a hardened/missing rubber.

Reply to
TeGGer®

"tegger5" wrote: > falk wrote in > news:1_509353 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com: > > > > > > well, with a friend i tried lifting the door while driving > and the > > sound did not disappear, but rather changed...It seems that > it is > > something related to the door... > > > > You don't "lift the door" while driving, you OPEN it to make > the weight of > the door take out all the slack in the hinges so they won't > rattle. The > door is just off the striker. If the rattle is still there, > then it's not > the hinges or door sealing rubbers. > > And by the way, one thing I forgot to mention previously is > that the > condition of the door sealing rubbers is important. It has to > be fully in > place (not hanging loose) and not hardened or compressed, or > else you'll > get noise from that source as well. That sealing rubber helps > keep the door > from moving around in its frame. Yours are surely compressed > and slightly > hardened. > > You can also get a similar noise from the hatchback, again due > to a > hardened/missing rubber. > > > -- > TeGGeR® > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ >

ups i meant to say that a friend opened the door hehe (instead of lifting it)

The weird thing is, when the door is open and the car is being accelerated, the rattling noise changes and becomes less (but does not disappear).

hmm the sealing rubber is a bit compressed and hardened....any suggestions before I start replacing this as well =)

thanks

Ps: Is it possible that the underchassis near the wheel can make such a sound?

Reply to
falk

falk wrote in news:1_509832 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Then you may have TWO sources of the rattle.

With the door OPEN and NOT contacting the frame or striker, driving slowly over bumps or potholes, do you hear any noise from the door area?

Anything's possible. You might have a loose splash guard or something. Maybe the window glass is loose. You friend will need to have very keen hearing to be able to help you place the sound.

Noises are notoriously difficult to source. It took me a month to find a loud buzz on my car that happened only at idle, and only occasionally. It turned out to be a hood hinge was worn and the hinge pin was vibrating in its enlarged hole. A small chunk of hard foam placed under the hinge solved it.

Reply to
TeGGer®