Switching to synthetic oil

Page 1 of 2
The scheduled oil change intreval on my Accord calls for every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever occurs first. Until recently it usually occured before 3 months but lately I drive a lot less and sometimes it
takes even 5 months to get another 3,750 miles into my car. This causes a dilemma, because I also have some other maintenance items at every 7,500 miles, which would be normally at every other oil change. Since I still want to have only one oil change in midway of the 7,500 mile maintenance interval (i.e. at every 3,750 miles,) I am in conflict with the 3 month maximum interval. So I've been thinking of switching from natural oil to synthetic which would not degrade as fast. What do the experts here think about it and which synthetic oil would they recommend. Right now I use the same 5W-30 Castrol oil that Honda dealers use.
september.org:

Where do you live? That's important.
--
Tegger

US NW. Puget Sound.

I think you may be lookng at the "Severe" maintenance schedule.
Take another look through your Owner's Manual. I think you may find that oil-change intervals for "Normal" use are longer than 3 months.
--
Tegger

I've been doing this oil change at every 3,750 miles for such a long time with the intervals shorter than 3 months that I never even bothered to recheck this in my Owners Manual. Now I did and you're right. Again. Thanks.

No harm done. Too-frequent oil changes are NEVER a bad thing! You've been doing your Accord a /big/ favor by changing the oil as often as you have.
--
Tegger

Seems to be he has mostly been doing Castrol (BP) the big favor. I doubt engine failure will be the reasion the car goes to it eventual resting place, even if the normal maintenance schedule is followed.
Ed

That may be one of the reason that the car is still running well and with good milage approaching 300 K miles.

Very likely. Maintenance is /everything/ when it comes to longevity.
I'm going to be going over 360,000 in the next couple of days.
--
Tegger

My odometer is at the equivalent of 359,997 right now. It's going over 360K tomorrow.
--
Tegger

Wow! Way to go ... How long are planning to keep it?

I'm not sure. There are a lot factors at work here. If I pass smog in two months, that buys me at leat two years, provided the engine and tranny hold up.
--
Tegger

Nope.
It starts with solid engineering.
Which has NOTHING to do with the piece of shit transmission that Honda put in my $30K 2002 model van, the transmission that--despite maintenance--failed at 73K gentle in-town miles of my wife driving the small children around.
And my story is the rule, not the exception.
Fuck Honda. Whatever they are now, it has nothing to do with who they used to be.

Well, we are talking about "used to be" Hondas when we're talking about 300K or more miles in them, aren't we?
On the other hand, even the new Hondas come out on the top along with Subarus according to the following article. But maybe you know better.
<http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-consumer-reports-20110301,0,6971133.story

Actually, I do. I have inside information from an engineering source. Things are NOT good withing Honda, and the cars that come out today truly have nothing in common with Honda's roots other than the nameplate on the back.

Then they sure can fool the people at Consumer Reports.

CR isn't doing actual research into any of this. They just tell us what their surveys say. And they survey ONLY people who have bought within the last few months.
Not only is nothing apt to go wrong with the car or is any bad engineering apt to show up in so short a time, anyone who has spent that kind of money on a car is loathe to tell the world that he made a $30,000 mistake.
I find it interesting that Chevies are junk, but Buick ranks RIGHT UP THERE with Lexus in the JD Power ratings. Let's think about that, shall we? Imagine the typical Buick buyer. He drives about 3000 miles/year, and does so at 25mph or so. His car is perfect. The very same Chevy, with the very same engine and transmission and platform and is built by the same union workers, but which is driven by Joe Sixpack and his wife hauling the dog and the kids around, gets poor ratings.
Yeah.
On 3/2/2011 6:50 PM Elmo P. Shagnasty spake these words of knowledge:

Elmo's retarded.
CR surveys owners for as long as they own their cars. I subscribed for over 20 years.
That said, CR doesn't tell you much about current level of quality; almost every car is going to run pretty well, and be pretty satisfactory for a while. Honda may indeed have dropped in quality, and if so, it will show up in a few years.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
rw-rw-rw- : The file protection of the Beast.

I take it you are Unix/Linux fan, huh?
On 3/2/2011 10:32 PM Cameo spake these words of knowledge:

I've been a programmer/analyst/software engineer/whatever since 1978.
Not a fan per se, but I have been familiar with Unix (and Linux) through the years.
Dave Kelsen
--
"In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel
over what I considered to be an 'odd' number." -- Steven Wright