Symptoms of Valve Clearance Problems?

I got the price for major service for the '95 EX, minus the water pump and timing belt, and I'm starting to see why Hyundai is closing in on Honda. $410 to $547 for "checking" a lot of things, with parts
costing extra. They didn't even make it clear that a tuneup was included! I can replace the cap and plugs and wires, and *in theory* I can adjust the valves, but I'd really rather not. Do tight valves give you any kind of warning?
I'm not cheap, BTW. Money is tight. I can afford Honda parts, just not Honda "service."
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:> I got the price for major service for the '95 EX, minus the water

Why are you taking an old car to a dealer for service? Find a reputable independent mechanic who specializes in import cars. Labor costs will be lower.
High Tech Misfit wrote:

I've been looking for one for years. Haven't found one yet.

HONDA dealerships are in business to make LOTS of (service department) money for the owner.
#1 symptom for tight valves is stalling during the warm-up period, and poor restart if you shut it off during that period. Bad fuel mileage too.
You need a mechanic who will do what's needed, and you can do the rest.
NOTE to CR-V owners: If your Gen 1 CR-V ever stalls during the warm-up cycle, don't drive it hard / far before adjusting the valves LOOSE. You will burn a valve.
'Curly'
motsco_ wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.