TECH QUESTION (TQ): HowTo Change ECU

I've Googled and scanned this newsgroup. Excuse me for asking this simple question, but how does one safely replace an ECU? Here us what I presume:
1. Disconnect car battery 2. Remove old ECU 3. Install "new" ECU 4. Reconnect car battery 5. Start car
I am guessing that this is simple, like above, and that is why I can't find instructions on how o do it. I just wanted to check to make sure.
My son just bought a 1998 Civic in nice condition. The ECU will not produce any codes and the check engine light is always on. My searching on this indicates the ECU is probably bad. So, I want to try replacing it and I do not want to do it incorrectly and cause problems instead of solve them. Thanks, Don
Add pictures here
âś–

That's the correct procedure.
It is imperative that your new ECU have the correct part number for your VIN. If you are even remotely uncertain, call your dealer with your VIN and the part number off the new ECU. He'll tell you if they match.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

If you want to disconnect the car battery be my guest. There's virtually no damage that I can see. There's more damage if you fumble with the battery terminal causing all those spikes.
Plus, where did you get step #1 from?

The correct way to replace the ECU (that is dead) is to unplug the ECU and probe the harness for a massive short.

âś–