The 'Teg might finally be pooched...

Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
- oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks slightly before cleaning is performed; - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside; - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped by about 1 mpg in the past year: 2008: 29.79 mpg 2009: 29.91 mpg 2010: 28.75 mpg (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)
Not good.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

You worry too much.
Put some 20/50 Castrol in it...
JT

Castrol also sells straight weight HD 30 and HD 40.
Tegger wrote:

Why don't you measure your oil consumption over a longer interval like you do for gas mileage. Or if your goal is to be consistently stupid why don't you compute gas mileage based on 25 miles driving intervals?
I notice you went from 344,700 349,00 without an oil change. Thought you claimed to change oil every 3000 miles.
-jim

jim wrote:

Nuthin' misses yer beady eyes, eh?
JT
Grumpy AuContraire ( snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com) writes:

One of the zeros did.

Because with the level dropping as far as it does, as fast as it does, I now need to top-up more frequently than before. And if I top-up, I might as well record what I find as I go.

That particular interval was due to my 83-year-old mother having some serious health problems, ending up in the hospital for a couple of weeks; I had no time to do an oil change. She lives an hour away from me one-way, so I did a lot of driving over those two weeks.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

What has that got to do with the question I asked. You said compute mileage over a 3000 mile interval. Are you saying you "top-up" your gas tank once every 3000 miles?
For some reason you seem to comprehend that measuring gas mileage over small disjointed intervals would produce inaccurate results. For some reason you can't comprehend that measuring over small disjointed intervals is even more inaccurate for determining oil usage.

Do you think I was suggesting your car behaves differently because it knows your mother is sick?
What your engine did seem to notice was how long you left the oil in this summer. In case you didn't know there is a very definite relationship between how much oil an engine uses and how long the oil has been in the crankcase. This relationship is usually very evident in an engine with more than 300k miles that is starting to use some oil. That relationship is the exact opposite of what most your data shows (up until this summer) , which is why I know your data (up until this summer) is bogus.
-jim

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:27:52 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Any piston slap issues with that Teg? I have had them since 120k, now at 240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings otherwise no problems.

Since about 90K miles. It's been essentially unchanged for 259K miles.

My mechanic tells me piston-slap has no bearing on engine life; the engine will die "with" it, not "of" it.
My problem with this car is simply piston-travel distance. The jalopy spends much of its time on the highway at about 4,000 rpm, this due to a very low-geared 5th. Pistons can only go up-and-down for so long before the rings eventually wear out.
I have fervently wished, over the years, that I had a taller 5th...
--
Tegger

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:19:12 +0000, Tegger wrote:

hmmm, iirc mine is at <3000 at 60mph 5th gear (90 Teg)
On 08/18/2010 09:53 PM, Mat wrote:

you have the ls? tegger has the rs. different 5th ratio. if you're doing the work yourself, it's not prohibitively expensive to swap the gears out.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Actually, the transmission gear ratios are the same through all models of the Integra for '90 and for '91. They are different from automatic to manual, though.
--
Tegger

On 08/19/2010 11:48 AM, Tegger wrote:

but different ratios are apparently available: http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132 /

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Apparently so, but they all shipped from Suzuka equipped the same way.
Wish I'd thought of asking years ago if there were a taller 5th available. I see the site you reference shows the B18B as having shipped with taller 5th and diff ratios. What's that, about 7% taller overall than the ratios listed for the USDM B18A? Not a lot of difference. I'd get 3,880 rpm instead of 4,000.
Then there's the question of whether the listed gearsets are even compatible between trannies.
I'd guess the aftermarket also makes gearsets with custom ratios.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Wow... I tend to keep the Gen II Civics below 3K (rpm)s. A lot of things can be factored in over time including metal fatigue, ka pow!
When you finally retire it, do so with ceremony...
JT
On 08/15/2010 06:27 PM, Tegger wrote:

i think you still have a way to go.
http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/story.aspx?Storyx3