Theft risk of Nav systems?

I just bought an 05 Accord w nav. How concerned should I be about a breakin and theft of the Nav system? (may affect what insurance deductible I choose)

Are they easily reinstallable on other vehicles, or is it so hard or model-specific that the theft demand is low?

-MVL

Reply to
mvl_groups_user

they would have to take the navi screen, the wiring and the navi unit in the trunk and the gps antenna, not real likely in my opinion. Chip

Reply to
chip

chip wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well,they steal ECUs,they steal entire engine/transaxles,and they steal HID light systems from other brands of cars(Toyotas),so IMO,it's not such a stretch to imagine that they may steal Nav systems or components of them. Same goes for DVD systems.

Nav systems are new enough that there is not much of a track record of their thefts,if any.

Call a couple of dealer's parts departments,and ask if there's been a demand for replacements due to thefts.They oughta know.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, so I can't phone any dealers to ask exactly what SIZE the eight bolts on the Gen 1 propeller shaft are.

I haven't looked close, but I'm guessing 10 mm or 12 mm. I may be able to buy a socket at NAPA today, but it's a long drive into the city, and I can't take the car with me . . .

Anybody had theirs apart??

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I'm guessing crv or pilot for propeller shaft. if that's the case they are 10mm 12pt. Chip

Reply to
chip

Sorry for the lack of info,

It's for a 2000 CR-v, and the shop manual says 12 point. I actually wrote it 12 point, then changed it to 16 point 'cuz I thought i read it wrong.:-(.

The propeller shaft on a CR-v runs to the back differential to provide power if the front wheels start to slip. If I dismantle it, I wonder what lube i should re-smear on the splines ? ?

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'