Throttle Position sensor on CRV

I posted the previous message about the 2003 Honda CRV. I took it to the dealer who said I need to have the throttle position sensor replaced, then told me the part costs almost $800 and the total cost for the repair would be $1150. I couldn?t find a price for that part for the Honda CRV listed online, but this seems outrageous, considering many other tps were listed at under $100. Does anyone know if this is a fair price?

Thanks for your opinions.

Reply to
Kardypaine

if the crv is anything like the civic, you can't buy the tps on its own, you have to buy it as part of the throttle body, and that's what is expensive.

your options are:

  1. buy new throttle body
  2. buy used tb from junk yard.
  3. replace tps from junk yard - need some skill.
  4. repair tps - need more skill.

if you replace/repair just the tps on its own, beware that calibration will probably be off - that's why they're not sold separately. google this group for a description on how to remove and replace.

first things first though - these units are usually /very/ reliable and

2003 implies a youthful vehicle. be sure that dealer's diagnosis is correct - get a second opinion. it may just be a dirty connection.
Reply to
jim beam

A tPS can't be bad unless you're not telling us some dark secret about your CR-V, or it's just bad from the factory. Get an analog meter and check it slowly and THOROUGHLY. It's highly doubtful there's a problem. You've already paid for the diagnostic code. Tell us the CODE, or get the money back from the dealer.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_