Time delay locking your keys in the Civic ..good to know

The 2006 Honda Civic's doors will lock automatically after about 5 minutes if the vehicle is unlocked without the keys in the ignition.

> >> If you open the doors - take the keys with you. >> >> If you start up the car, have it running with the keys making contact >> with the ignition - just having the keys in the ignition and the car >> >> turned off it will NOT lock. >> >> BUT if you got to your car, took something out, or changed your mind >> about getting in and if you don't put the keys into the ignition - the >> doors will lock on you after several minutes. Don't leave the keys on >> the seat somewhere. >> >> If you start the car up to warm it up and start clearing off the snow - >> as long as the key is in the ignition you won't be stuck. >> >> You learn something every day. >>
Reply to
Ray

Since accidentally locking my car door, while it was running, on the side of a rural road 50 miles from home, during a snow storm, me without my jacket on, with 30 MPH winds and 15 F temps, about three years ago, I never leave home without the valet key in my pocket.

But, the poster is right. If your keys are in the ignition, you cannot lock the doors. I couldn't even lock them with the lock button on the door latch handle.

I am not sure if this is a perfect situation, but it sure can save your ass... ;-)

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

This doesn't make sense. What you're saying is, if I go out and unlock my car, open the door, get in, put the keys on the passenger's seat, get out, close the door and go away for ten minutes - when I come back the car will have locked itself?

I know our Odyssey (and my Audi, for that matter) will re-lock themselves after a short period of time (like 1 minute) if the car is unlocked and NO door is open within that time frame.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I did something similar in Rochester NY during a snow storm. Fortunately that was back decades ago with a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger hard top. Breaking in with a borrowed hanger took about 5 seconds.

Reply to
Art

I was outside of Franklinville, NY. No houses in visible distance.

Got lucky that a couple stopped 10 minutes later, let me use their cell phone and wait in their car until AAA showed up.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

hmm, yeah, that doesn't seem like a good scenario.

right, I think most Honda and Acura cars now do this.

Reply to
Bucky