Time keeps on slipping....

In late march, I traded in my 2010 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) for a

2012 civic coupe (manual transmission). The difference is what makes me happy.... The manual is WAY more fun.

I noticed something today that shocks me. The clock in the new car is WAY inaccurate. I have only had this car for a month and a half, and already I have adjusted the clock > 5 minutes twice. This is ridiculous! Clocks from the 1500's are this accurate, but a $2 quarts from the drug store should be accurate to 1 minute per YEAR.

Has anyone else noticed this large an error in their car's clock?

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

It can happen on any electronic clock.

You can change out the clock module--maybe they'll warrant the thing--or you can just get the $2 module from the drugstore and just stick it on. Frankly, that's the easiest solution.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

yeahbut, if i'd just paid tens of kilodollars for a brand new car, i'd want the freakin' clock to work properly. i say warranty return.

to the o.p., it's probably one of honda's suppliers outsourcing to china. other than changing the crystal, which is a non-trivial task with modern smd circuit fabrication, i don't think there's much you can do other than get the whole unit swapped out.

Reply to
jim beam

I am not so sure there isn't some sort of adjustment possible. I saw a Ford TSB recently that dealt with an inaccurate Fiesta clock and the fix involved reprogramming the car's computer -

FORD:

2011 Fiesta ISSUE Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit clock losing time. Typical complaint is clock losing approximately 1-5 minutes per week. ACTION Reprogram the instrument panel cluster to the latest calibration using IDS release 71.05 and higher or 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files 10849 04 may also be obtained at
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty

I was surprised by this, but I guess when you have a multi-purpose display controller (the same display provides information on the radio, and menus for setting up other stuff) you might have the clock function built into the controller. Honda might (or might not) be doing something similar. In fact there is a 2011 Honda TSB for Odesseys that seems to indicate that they might use a similar system:

Make / Models: HONDA / ODYSSEY Model/Build Years: 2011 Service Bulletin Number: SB-10-081 NHTSA Item Number: 10038564 Summary: HONDA SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. THERE ARE SOFTWARE PROBLEMS THAT AFFECT THE CLOCK AND RADIO. 2011 ODYSSEYS. *RM UPDATED ON 08-31-2011. *KB

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
Flatlander

Mine gains a minute a month or thereabouts.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Matthew Fries wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bring it to the dealer. This is a warranty repair. There may even be a TSB out on your problem by now.

Be aware that Honda expects their clocks to gain or lose a bit of time each month. Exactly how much yours gains/loses will be important in determining if your problem is warrantable, so make sure you're certain just what the discrepancy is.

Reply to
Tegger