Time to do the Brakes?

Hi All:
I've got a 2000 civic which I bought, used 3 years ago. From what the mechanics have told me I've still got the original brakes. I've had them checked a few times and about 6 months ago I was told that there
was still 25% left on the brakes, but in the last couple of weeks I've begun hearing a grating noise which seems to be coming from the front rotors.
I'm assuming that it's now time to do the brakes, but I'm really busy with work and the holiday season. I'm wondering whether I've now reached the warning stage or have gone past that and am destroying the rotors? If still at the warning stage how long do I have until I do damage to the brakes. They still seem to be working fine.
Thanks for your help.
Peter H

If you hear a "grating" noise, you're wrecking your rotors as I type. But that's not so bad; they're only $70 each for new OEM.
Everybody's "too busy" to fix car problems, which is fine by me. That's how garages make most of their money, from people "too busy" to get things looked at before they get really expensive.
And your brakes will work just fine for quite a long while. But by the time you find yourself not "too busy" to get them repaired, you may find your repair bill has grown by at least $200. Pure gravy for the garage!
Merry Christmas!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

No mistaking that one - the harsh grinding sound is from the steel backing of the pads chewing on a rotor. If it's been going on for weeks it probably got both disks, and neither will be suitable for resurfacing. Procrastination is an expensive hobby.
Don't put this off any longer. There is no telling what your car will do if you have to use the brakes hard. The front wheels may lock up early or they may just not do their job. The only thing you can be sure of is they won't work right. By now you are probably braking on the rear wheels mostly. Worse, if you allow this to go on much longer a pad (well, the backing plate) can slip out of the caliper. From there any number of things can happen - like that wheel locking up - and none of them are good.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

before the pads get to metal. pads still need to be replaced immediately, but hopefully the rotors aren't toast.
The scraper on the pads only work if that pad is wearing as fast or more than the other pad. In my experience it is the other pad most of the time. So relying on the scraper is useless. Rotate the tires every 5k-10k and inspect the linings each time they are rotated.

Woody wrote:

Hummm. That's not good to hear... I guess I'll have to yank the wheels off to check mine more often. I had read that the car had scrapers, but I assumed they actually worked.. :/ Course, I have no brake noise...I would quit driving pronto if I heard that.. I'm used to the scrapers on GM cars I guess.. Those work real well.. You get plenty of advance notice before you actually start the true grind.. MK
snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote in

The wear tab is only on the INNER pad. If the inner pad gets seized and the OUTER pad does all the work, then it will wear down very quickly and you won't know until it begins scarring up the rotor.
Regular servicing will prevent this from occurring.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
I was expecting to hear a scraping noise before I ruined the rotors. I never heard a thing until I was into them. Anyway I took the car in today and had the brakes done. I also took the opportunity to replace the timing belt as it was due too. The brakes feel great and the car is running well with the new timing belt. Feels like a new car !!
Peter H
Tegger wrote:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:27:11 -0800, Peter H wrote:

Grinding is bad. If you have grinding, you are tearing up your rotors. Replace the pads and rotors, and you'll be fine. Check the rears, too.