timing adjustment/ engine light

1999 civic lx. Long story short, I wanted to adjust the timing, since I was hearing some pinging. After jumping the service connector, which gave me t he check engine light and eventually a blinking check engine light, I did t he adjustment and removed the jumper.

The engine light stopped blinking but didn't turn off. I stopped and restar ted the engine a couple times. Still the light is on. I took it for a drive . And still the light is on.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Reply to
michael.blesch78

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Count the blinks. There may be both short and long blinks, and in multpile formations, with sequences separated by a 2-second pause.

Report the blinks here.

Reply to
Tegger

Its no longer blinking. Its just on now

Reply to
michael.blesch78

except for after a distributor replacement, you should never have to adjust the timing on a 1999, The light is probably on because the ECM can't control the timing where it wants to since you moved the distributor.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:c0114dd6-79ca-4931-8e7d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Do you have an OBD-II scan tool? If so, check that for the codes.

If you do not have a scan tool, pull the Backup fuse in the undehood fuse box for 10 econds, then put it in again. See if the light comes back on. WARNING: This procedure will lock the radio, and you'll need to re-enter the security code to get it working again!!!

Reply to
Tegger

Geoff Welsh wrote in news:l3ev1f$f13$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If it has a distributor, it needs the timing set. The only engines which can do their own timing adjustments are those without a distributor ('01 and up, depending on model).

Reply to
Tegger

it needs to be set when the distributor is installed, not periodically adjusted like a car from the 1970's. The PCM/ECU switches the Ignition Control Module.

From "Description and Operation, Ignition Timing Control"

"

- The ECM/PCM contains memories for basic ignition timing at various engine speeds and manifold air flow rates. Ignition timing is also adjusted for engine coolant temperature.

- A knock control system was adopted which sets the ideal ignition timing for the octane rating of the gasoline used."

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I presume that even the 1999 "distributor" is all electronic and doesn't have mechanical points, but then what do you have when you "don't have a distributor", it no longer needs a mechanical gear linkage to the engine? I mean, it's STILL a distributor even if it gets electronic timing signals?

Just wondering, Thanks.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Geoff Welsh wrote in news:l3f883$6oo$1@dont- email.me:

All true, BUT...

All of the above depends on the BASE TIMING being set correctly, because all the ECU/ECM/PCM's subsequent adjustments are relative to the BASE TIMING. "Base timing" is NOT the same as "basic timing".

The crank position sensor (CKP) is contained within the distributor. The ECM makes its on-the-fly adjustments depending on the signals it receives from the CKP sensor.

When the Service Check Connector is jumped, this disables the ECM's ability to adjust the ignition timing for the factors you list above. Timing is thus locked down to BASE TIMING, so that it may be set correctly.

It is true that base timing should not change on its own, but it is wise to do periodic checks, and it is necessary to check (and adjust if needed) after any work is done to the distributor or the timing belt.

One issue with distributor adjustments is that they are made using a timing light. It is possible for somebody to make a mistake when adjusting tne timing, especially 1) when the crank pulley marks are obscured by rust, 2) the light is held on an angle that appears to make the timing belt cover mark out of alignment with the crank pulley, or if the timing belt cover is distorted by age or damage. For these reasons it is always wise to double- check the timing from time to time (pun not intended).

Distributorless systems have the CKP relocated to the crankshaft nose, where adjustment is not possible; the ECM assumes that the crank-nose CKP is correctly set.

Reply to
Tegger

JRStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A Honda distributor of ANY kind is ALWAYS adjusted by hand, using a timing light.

Distributorless systems have the crank position sensor (CKP) attached to the crankshaft's nose, where adjustment is neither possible nor provided for. Provided the CKP is not damaged or dislodged during servicing, the ECM assumes the CKP is returning a valid and accurate signal, and makes its adjustments from there.

The reasoning behind a distributorless system is that the possibility of misadjustment by the owner or other servicing personnel is just about non- existent; it is thus more likely that mandated emissions levels will not be disturbed.

Reply to
Tegger

Wrong. 99 has "distributor" that point spark to each cylinder but timing on crank not adjustable.

Sensor on crank but not "distributorless". Read manual.

Reply to
LTL

LTL wrote in news:l3jo88$50t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sorry, but the '99 Civic's ignition timing IS controlled by distributor setting.

You're referring to the CKF sensor, or Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation sensor. The CKF sensor is used to fine-tune fuel delivery and for misfire codes; it has nothing to do with ignition timing.

Reply to
Tegger

Dead knock sensor?

Reply to