Timing Belt

Is there anyone that could give me some info on changing a timing belt on 99 civic lx ??

Reply to
JC

Start at

Especially take note of the parts about getting the %&#@! crank bolt loose (your biggest challenge) and about getting the belt on correctly (the most critical part.) I personally recommend you get the crank bolt broken loose and retightened to a normal human amount instead of a super human amount sometime before you schedule a Saturday for the rest of the job, since that is the one thing that can be a showstopper. Once you get past that hurdle, the rest is only work.

Also, I am in the faction who feels it is a good investment to replace the water pump at the same time. Others disagree - make your own decision. Ditto on replacing the crank and cam seals, and the tensioner(s) - they are expensive little devils.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:7v6dnca78PD9u4 snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Yup. 4th entry up from the bottom in that category takes you to an excellent page on exactly that. It's on an Integra, but it's generic to just about any Civic-based vehicle.

The SOHC engines have no way of holding the cam in place once the belt's been removed, so it is VERY critical to mark the old belt before removing it, then transfer the marks to the new belt so you can get it on EXACTLY right. Garages have a cam-holder tool to keep the cam still. They run about $50 or so.

Also make sure you've tensioned the belt properly!Too loose and it'll jump a tooth; too loose and you'll get loud whirring noises and eventual breakage.

The correct Honda/Helm manual is an asset, but not essential if you're machanically inclined.

Yup. And then you MUST make sure it's retorqued properly. A neighbor of mine had the bolt come out on his Prelude because he guessed at the correct torque.

Agree 1,000%. You're already all the way in there anyway.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

yup.

make that too /tight/