Timing Belt Cover - do I need to replace it?

Hi, I'm doing a swap of a 97 Accord F22B1 for a H23A1 into my 95 Prelude. I was going to replace the timing belt on the F22 since that's what broke on the H23 and I think it's been done already.

The reason I say this is the lower cover has a hole in it from the belt rubbing. It looks like the cover was never (re)installed correctly and the top edge around the crankshaft pulley wasn't seated behind the pully but was in front, hence the rub of the belt.

My buddy says not to replace the cover and that this problem even exists on engines as they leave the factory.

I wanted to get some more opinions before I decide.

Thoughts?

Thanx

RJ

Reply to
rmiller

I would not like the easier access of dust and water to all the moving parts.

Used Honda TB covers are abundant at junkyards. Should cost you just a few bucks.

I do not recall reports of this problem (TB cover rubbing against whatever) here.

Reply to
Elle

I would tend to agree with your friend.

Both of my timing belt covers on my '82 & '83 Civics have "holes" where the pulleys have worn sections. Plastic covers simply distort in high engine compartment temperatures.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:Em3sj.585356 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

People also sometimes install belts too loosely.

Reply to
Tegger

no, the cover is there for a reason. all kinds of junk blows up under the hood from time to time. you don't want sticks or stones getting lodged in the timing belt.

the only people that run without covers are those into adjustable cam timing, or who want to show off their colored aluminum cam gears.

Reply to
jim beam

exactly - properly adjusted belts [of the right quality that track straight] do not wear holes in the covers.

Reply to
jim beam

Hey bub... Y' accusin' me of being "loose?"

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Au contraire... The holes in my covers were caused by distortion in the cover over the the lower pulley. Both cars exhibit the same malady..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire