Timing belt replacement - 2001 Accord LX

Up here at the northwest. Trying to do a sanity check on a dealer quoted replacement cost for a 4-dr '01 accord timing belt. The quote was for $640 +
tax!
Now is this a reasonable price to pay for this kind of job, or am I about to get gouged out the rear???
Someone please help. Thanks in advance.

Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia the price for the timing belt replacement is $575.00 plus tax (Canadian Funds of course).

I should also mention that this price is for a V6.
Brian
precambrian wrote:

Is this a 4-cylinder or a V6? I don't know how much it should cost to replace it on the V6, but for the 4-banger, that sounds too high unless it also includes the cost of replacing the water pump and other belts too.
That's a reasonable dealer price these days, though it's worth checking with another dealer. You can also shop around at import car shops and maybe do better, but I think one risks a lower quality of work at them. For example, an independent import shop changed my 91 Civic's timing belt a decade or so ago, and they bashed in the oil pan in the process. Only cosmetic. Still, it indicates they didn't really know what they were doing. (Having since learned to replace the t-belt myself, I /know/ they didn't know how to deal with a Honda.)

If you don't like the price , shop around, Honda's are expensive to repair get used to it!

Make sure that is also Water Pump, etc., etc. There is more to this service than just the T-Belt.
$500-$600 is the going rate.
G-Man

That is not an unreasonable price providing they will change all your belts, water pump, front engine seals and add coolant as should be done for proper preventive maintenance. Howard

Thanks all. I read the estimate again and it says the cost covers replacement of the drive belts, water pump and seals as well.