timing belt replacement update

Went to the garage and looked over the shoulder of the mechanic as he did timing belt and water pump replacement. He ran so long doing the job he gave me a free oil change.
Total cost: $400.
Old timing belt was immaculate. No cracks at all. Flexible, strong and all the teeth were present. Probably would have lasted another 50K miles (I had 155K miles on the car).
Water pump looked like it just came out of the box. No corrosion, and spun like brand new.
Probably could have gone another year...BUT the alternative...if the belt broke...would have been worse.
wf3h wrote:

Good mechanic if he didn't charge you in accordance with that sign we've all seen:
        Labor
            $65/hour If you watch        $75/hour If you help        $95/hour If you supervise $125/hour
<g>

What year/model/mileage?

keep forgetting that....
2000 honda CRV 155K miles
wf3h wrote:

T-belts usually look fine until they fail.
Eric

I went 180K on the OEM timing belt and pump, 90% Interstate driving. I'd bet I could have gone 250k, but I began worrying about the risk so much it was worth it to have it done and start sleeping well again. :-0
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:52:30 -0400, "Big E. Ratt"

There will also be stories of thopse who have wrecked an engine after 60,000 miles on a camshft belt. What does that prove? Clearly the menufacturers' recommendations for changing a belt will be conservative as are all service intervals.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 05:49:58 +0100, Edward W. Thompson wrote:

And the potential cost of ignoring it is far greater than the cost of having the service performed, just like all areas of maintenance.
--
Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
joe at hits - buffalo dot com