Timing Belt vs. Chain

Why have so many cars gone to a belt instead of a chain ? ...

On 6/3/2011 12:40 PM, Steve Giannoni wrote:

I'm not a mechanic but I do know that belts are cheaper and easier to replace. That's my 2 cents, though. ;)
--- Posted via

Yes, but replacement has to be in a lot shorter periods.
My 2001 Prius uses a chain and replacement is never a part of routine maintenance ...

On 6/3/2011 12:40 PM, Steve Giannoni wrote:

Actually I had the impression that the trand was back to chains. My '91 Civic had a belt. My 2003 Civic hybrid has a chain.

Wow, time flies. It seems like Honda just made this change. So with some of these chain driven engines reaching the 9 year mark, have there been any problems? Can't say I've heard of any. Speaking here of Honda engines. Lots of problems in Saturns RIP.

My understanding is that the chains are proving to be just about bulletproof.
--
Tegger

That'll change, or probably has already changed, when the beancounters find out.