Timing Chain vs. Belt

Page 2 of 2
So what fraction of chains are driven by a polymeric or nylon gears. Is changing the driving gear part of the specified maintenance ?
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:09:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mydaja.com wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:00:17 -0400, Steve Giannoni

Nothing very specific on that floating around. Some metal gears have nylon teeth which make them cheaper and easier to produce. Years ago, I had a 1988 Olds Cutlas wagon with a plastic gear. It shredded as I started it up to leave work. Luckily the car wasn't in motion. I turned off the engine right away. And had no chain slap damage. Some are all nylon. I don't really care much about engine noise. So I told the mechanic to put an all metal gear for the chain.
I just had the timing belt and water pump changed on my 97 CRV, a few months ago.