timing on prelude

1990 honda prelude B21A1 2.05L
I am in the middle of doing a head gasket job on my prelude and am putting the car back together. I am doing the timing belt now and
cannot manage to get the timing belt tensioner to work right. I either have to pull hard to get the timing belt on, or it will be very loose. Is there any trick to getting the timing right and the belt back on? The book I have talks about places to insert 5mm punches so the cams will stay at TDC. I can get the cams to TDC, but the valves push it off of TDC. It will not stay, and once I get the belt on, they have moved slightly so the timing will not be right!
I am pretty lost as far as this timing belt thing goes. Thanks!
f u z z b o y wrote:

check out tegger.com for the faq's. you'll find links that tell you all you need to know.

If you loosen the tensioner it shouldn't be hard.

The trick is to use good judgement or measuring tools. A square comes to mind. If the timing are wrong you could end up with white smoke out the tailpipe. The best method is prevention - mark the belts before removing them.
I don't see a part in the FAQ that explains how to install a new belt that will foul up the cam positions. Someone might show you how.

If you can't put pins in the cam holes you shouldn't be attempting a timing belt on a prelude.

well, I found the holes after getting the timing belt on correctly, and they were dead on. I ended up having to move the crank around a little bit in order to adjust where the tension was at. I am doing an entire head gasket job, and every thing i have learned about cars has come from this project. getting that timing belt on CORRECTLY was a really big accomplishment for me!