Tire Questions (Bridgestone Potenza RE92)

I have owned my 2000 Prelude since it was new and have driven it very responsibly, mostly highway mileage. The car came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (205/50R16) tires, since I also have an older (second gen.) 1987 prelude, I don't drive the 2000 that often and have only put 53K miles in it, today I noticed the front passenger side tire has cracks all around the sidewall, I can only see the cracking on this tire, the others seem ok. I check tire pressure every 2 to 3 months and don't recall going over anything or hitting a curb that could cause such damage and there are no signs of any wear or tear on the wheels and the tires still have excellent tread.

The questions I have:

1) is this normal wear or could it be possible I damaged the tire some how?

2) Has anyone else had any similar experience with these types of tires?

Thanks, CDMA

Reply to
CDMA

I do not think this normal. Yes, it's possible you trashed it. Good riddance.

No, but now you have an excellent excuse to replace that junk with decent tires. RE92 does not belong on prelude or any other semi decent car.

Reply to
Body Roll

Thanks for the comments Body Roll, Btw, any recommendations on some decent tires without having to break the bank?, I do plan on replacing them soon.

Reply to
CDMA

Is it possible this one tire has more direct sun hitting it day to day?

Reply to
Rob

Kumho Ecsta ASX is cheap, 712 is marginally better. Ecsta MX is a whole lot better and a tiny bit more expensive. Look on tirerack.com Lots of tests and you can get an idea about prices even if you want to buy tires from a local ripoff joint.

Reply to
Body Roll

Rob, not really, when the car is not in use it is in a garage, it seems to me it may be a tire defect, there are not wear marks on the side walls other than these cracks, I really take care of this car and cant recall where or how I could have done something like that.. I check it on a regular basis, but I wondering if low tire pressure could cause something like that.

Reply to
CDMA

The tires are old. 6 years old. This is normal for tires that are old or don't get moved enough. It is important for the tires to roll and let the oils in the tires move around. Eventually they loose this oil and dry out. It varies from tire manufacture to manufacture; but generally 5 to 6 years is the life of a tire. On my travel trailer; I change the tires every 5 years regardless of what they look like.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen H

Hi Steve, Thanks for the feedback and I tend to agree with you on the tires being old. I will be changing them this week. CDMA

Reply to
CDMA

I previously owned a 01 Prelude. In my opinion the OEM RE92s were a lousy tire. Replaced them with Bridgestone RE 750s and was quite pleased. You might check into

for info from other Preludeowners on tires and a variety of other info on your Prelude.

Reply to
tww

I agree with Stephen. When tires on my motorhome are 6 years old and still have significant tread depth, they get replaced. And that costs almost $2K!!

Reply to
glenf