Tire Recommendation for 98 Civic

Can someone recommend tires for a 98 Civic HX?
My criteria are
Purchase price Tread life Rolling resistance

ecarecar wrote:

low purchase price /and/ low rolling resistance are going to be a problem - pick one or the other.
Ya, I know.
I had some Toyo Ultra 800's that didn't last too long but were supposed to have a long tread life. As a matter of fact, they wore out much, much sooner than the tires that came on the car when I bought it new. So, after pondering the stains on the kitchen table, I thought I would make the primary criteria price next tread life, and, hoping for miracles, lastly rolling resistance. (or was it tread life and then price?)
Hmmm. I'll have to see if I can find out what Honda put on them in 98.
jim beam wrote:

ecarecar wrote:

whatever you do, be careful. in my experience, most of these "eco" low resistance tires, while great for fuel economy, are pretty damned scary when it comes to lack of grip. and you don't need to be a hot rod to worry about that, simply faced with an emergency stop and worrying why your tires are like glass. personally, i trade a little fuel economy for grip. screws the planet, but better for my personal health, jack.

my 98 civic lx came with Firestone FR680 P185 65R14s.
They sucked ass. Only lasted 60000kms or 37000mi.
ecarecar wrote:

Some organization or government agency has a tread-life rating which goes from ??? to 800. How reliable is that? In my experience it was not a good predictor. Consumer Reports had an article on tires, and their results did NOT correspond well with that tread-life rating.
loewent via CarKB.com wrote:

I would agree, treadwear is not the greatest indicator. As with EPA fuel economy estimates, treadlife estimates are subject to standard tests based on a certain set of driving condtions. if your driving regimen is not the same as the standard, your treadlife will be different than the estimate.
ecarecar wrote:

ecarecar wrote:

Based on the most recent Consumer Reports test it looks like the Kumho Solus KH16 is the tire which best meets your criteria. Have a look at the November 2006 issue in your local library.
John
I found a report that is even more on target. Almost none of the tires in the 2006 report will fit on a Civic.
Instead, see the November 2005 issue.
I'm going to get the Dayton Grenadier PLE.