Tire Recommendations ?

Hello,
Live in New England outside of Boston.
A fair amount of snow in winter. And, a few really bad icy road situations.
My son has a 2005 Accord (6 Cyl.)
Car presently has Goodyear Eagle LS (16")
He needs new tires, and is looking for advice as to what to get. I realize I don't have any knowledge in this.
He is Not looking for "performance". Most of his driving is on highways, but, of course, not all. Just a tire that will last a goodly number of miles, and also have truly good snow and ice characteristics.
Or, is it that any tire that doesn't have the really sticky rubber type of formulation going to be mediocre on snow and ice ? I guess these sticky rubber ones also have very poor mileage. Apparently that's the tradeoff, I guess.
But, is there a better "compromise" out there suitable for mainly commuter driving, having good winter characteristics and mileage ?
He literally hates the Goodyear Eagle's he now has in snow and ice conditions.
Says they are just miserable in snow and ice. He sure wouldn't call it an "all-weather" tire
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Price should be in the same ball park as his Eagles, if possible.
Thanks, Bob

There is only one tire for this situation: Nokian WR.
It's an all-season tire, sure, but it's the ONLY one that has the snowflake emblem indicating suitability as a winter tire.
Before I got a company car, I put them on my Lexus ES. Man, oh man. The next day I went a couple hours north through a snowstorm with slush on the freeway. Never a worry.
That is one amazing tire. Quiet on the highway in the summer, works great all season, but really shines in the winter as well.
Get winter tires for winter and all seasons for summer. I use Toyo for winter. They are beasts in snow.

tirerack.com has all sorts of good reviews. He can search for the right size for his car and read the reviews. I just out a new set of Michelin Energy LX4's on my Odyssey as I found them to be a good combination of ride/handling, winter traction and longevity (got 54k miles on 2 of the originals).
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA