Tire rotation neglected on 2000 Accord LX

Tire rotation has been neglected on the car since they were purchased about 2-3 years ago. The front tires are worn down but the rear tires are fine. Would it be ok to rotate the rear to the front and front to rear since being FWD the front takes the most wear? or would that be a bad idea?

Reply to
allenvillegas

Depends on how worn down they are. Do the tires still have enough tread to pass a safety inspection? Then sure. If not, they're not safe front or back.

Me, I don't rotate my tires either. When I get a new pair they go on the front, what's on the front goes to the rear and what on the rear isn't worth saving and get disposed of.

Reply to
Seth

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:2152856a- snipped-for-privacy@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

It's a BAD idea according to any magazine article, Click & Clack episode, race car driver, or competent mechanic I've ever spoken to.

People think the good tires should naturally go on the front, since the front does most of the work, but people are wrong.

Those rear tires are supposed to hold the rear of the car from swinging around forwards during turns or in slippery weather. It swings, you spin out of control. And most likely crash.

If the FRONT slides, all you do is keep going the way you were going, just unable to stop in as short a distance as you think you should. You'll be very quick to discover how little traction your fronts have and adjust your driving accordingly.

This is why if you purchase only two new tires, they go on the REAR.

Reply to
Tegger

"Understeer is when the back end of the car arrives at the scene of the accident first."

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mara100-84.onlink.net:

That's OVERsteer.

To put your quote another way, the rear of the car is OVERsteering (going past) the front.

OVERsteer is very bad for a road-going car, which is why road cars are invariably set up to UNDERsteer (plow straight ahead under heavy braking).

Reply to
Tegger

Good (new) tires are about cheapest way to make a car safe. Especially if you live in an area where it rains or snows.

Reply to
rick++

Oops--sorry, you're right. My mind was moving at a different speed than my hands.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@mara100-84.onlink.net:

Then you were OVERtyping; your hands went past your brain.

Now if you were UNDERtyping, you'd never get anything done, since you'd forget what you wanted to type by the time your hands got around to typing it.

Reply to
Tegger

The tires in the front aren't super worn down but the tread is noticeably less than the rear.

I'm still iffy on what to do especially with Elmo's info...I'm leaning more towards just getting two new front tires, for safety reasons

Reply to
allenvillegas

.

I meant Tegger, sorry.

Reply to
allenvillegas

.

I meant Tegger's info. Looks like I will just wait until the front tires get very worn down and replace those only. The rear ones have alot to go.

Reply to
allenvillegas

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

How much tread is there on the fronts anyway? You may be worried about nothing.

Place a penny in the tread with the top of Lincoln's head pointing into the tread. Check at various places, and see how much of Lincoln's head shows. Does the tread come up to the top of his hair? The top of his forehead? His eyebrows? The end of his nose?

Reply to
Tegger

Ya know, you went RIGHT where I was going--until I OVERanalyzed it, and wondered if perhaps I was UNDERtyping.

Ah!

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

...and then there is the circumstance of mistyping...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You wouldn't ask this question if you thought this was a good idea. You're just looking for someone to justify your being cheap. No, it's not OK. Your tires are shot. Replace them. Put the new ones onto the rear.

Reply to
ACAR

Uh no. I'm asking for help, not being cheap. Why not get the most out of my tires if I can? This is what this place is for, to get advice.

Reply to
allenvillegas

You have no way of knowing what condition his tires are in without seeing them. You don't know how many miles a year he puts on the vehicle, You don't know where he is located, you dont know if he maintains the air pressure correctly or not. In short, you don't know anything about his situation other than the little bit he mentioned in the OP. Ask some questions or stifle yourself. :^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

On 6/5/2009 4:29 AM Brian Smith spake these words of knowledge:

Further, there's nothing wrong with being cheap. It is not the same as being foolish, although cheaping out in the wrong places is one of the ways of being foolish.

To the OP: what would you do with those tires if your daughter were driving the car? That's how I would make the decision.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

I offered advice. You never answered. To repeat my post of a few days ago:

"How much tread is there on the fronts anyway? You may be worried about nothing.

"Place a penny in the tread with the top of Lincoln's head pointing into the tread. Check at various places, and see how much of Lincoln's head shows. Does the tread come up to the top of his hair? The top of his forehead? His eyebrows? The end of his nose?"

Reply to
Tegger

Exactly, being frugal in these times is a good thing. Tires however are one of the most important components of vehicle operation and should not be let go to the tread wear markers.

Excellent example Dave.

Reply to
Brian Smith