Tire rotation neglected on 2000 Accord LX

Page 1 of 2
Tire rotation has been neglected on the car since they were purchased about 2-3 years ago. The front tires are worn down but the rear tires are fine. Would it be ok to rotate the rear to the front and front to
rear since being FWD the front takes the most wear? or would that be a bad idea?

Depends on how worn down they are. Do the tires still have enough tread to pass a safety inspection? Then sure. If not, they're not safe front or back.
Me, I don't rotate my tires either. When I get a new pair they go on the front, what's on the front goes to the rear and what on the rear isn't worth saving and get disposed of.

The tires in the front aren't super worn down but the tread is noticeably less than the rear.
I'm still iffy on what to do especially with Elmo's info...I'm leaning more towards just getting two new front tires, for safety reasons

.
I meant Tegger, sorry.

.
I meant Tegger's info. Looks like I will just wait until the front tires get very worn down and replace those only. The rear ones have alot to go.

How much tread is there on the fronts anyway? You may be worried about nothing.
Place a penny in the tread with the top of Lincoln's head pointing into the tread. Check at various places, and see how much of Lincoln's head shows. Does the tread come up to the top of his hair? The top of his forehead? His eyebrows? The end of his nose?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Sorry for the delay. Gave both rear and front the penny test. Front are pretty bad shape and need to be replaced, the tread reaches the top of Abe's head. The rear tires tread goes to about his brow. Going to get two new tires either today or tomorrow. So from what I read these should go on the rear when I buy them?

Correct. The ones currently on the rear will be moved to the front.
Your current rears are in pretty good shape, actually. You have approximately 1/4" (or about 8/32") of tread.
If I were you, I'd rotate your tires front-for-rear until the old ones are down to maybe 4/32". This will give the new tires a proper start.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

It's a BAD idea according to any magazine article, Click & Clack episode, race car driver, or competent mechanic I've ever spoken to.
People think the good tires should naturally go on the front, since the front does most of the work, but people are wrong.
Those rear tires are supposed to hold the rear of the car from swinging around forwards during turns or in slippery weather. It swings, you spin out of control. And most likely crash.
If the FRONT slides, all you do is keep going the way you were going, just unable to stop in as short a distance as you think you should. You'll be very quick to discover how little traction your fronts have and adjust your driving accordingly.
This is why if you purchase only two new tires, they go on the REAR.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

"Understeer is when the back end of the car arrives at the scene of the accident first."

That's OVERsteer.
To put your quote another way, the rear of the car is OVERsteering (going past) the front.
OVERsteer is very bad for a road-going car, which is why road cars are invariably set up to UNDERsteer (plow straight ahead under heavy braking).
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Oops--sorry, you're right. My mind was moving at a different speed than my hands.

Then you were OVERtyping; your hands went past your brain.
Now if you were UNDERtyping, you'd never get anything done, since you'd forget what you wanted to type by the time your hands got around to typing it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Ya know, you went RIGHT where I was going--until I OVERanalyzed it, and wondered if perhaps I was UNDERtyping.

Ah!
Tegger wrote:

...and then there is the circumstance of mistyping...
JT

Or the back of you was moving faster then the front.

Eventually he'll come around.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Gee, Jimmy,I'm sorry to hear that your girlfriend

The laws of physics demands it.....

Good (new) tires are about cheapest way to make a car safe. Especially if you live in an area where it rains or snows.

You wouldn't ask this question if you thought this was a good idea. You're just looking for someone to justify your being cheap. No, it's not OK. Your tires are shot. Replace them. Put the new ones onto the rear.