Tire rotation->replaced camber = lots of vibration

Hi guys,

I took my '03 Civic Sedan into a Big O Tires to have the tires rotated just before Christmas - I try and do this every time I get my oil changed (every ~5000 miles). Anyway, on the way home I noticed that the car was *really* vibrating and that driving in a straight line required me to move the steering wheel left and right. I took it back to the shop and they told me that I needed something called a "camber" replaced - it was worn. I gave them $280 and they replaced it. On driving home for the second time, I found that it was still vibrating - you could really feel it on the steering wheel, and on the floor of the passenger side. I took it back again and they did an alignment. It still vibrates even now - usually start to feel it about 40-50mph (on perfectly flat roads). It doesn't vibrate as much now, but it's still noticeable. My ride was perfectly smooth before I took it in there for the original rotation.

Any opinions on how to proceed or what could possibly be wrong. If it's relevant, it's got about 57k miles on the clock.

Should I... take the car to an actual Honda mechanic (verify that the new camber is the right kind and properlly installed)? Have Big O rotate the tires again to how they were originally, and how it rides? Something else?

Xmas kicked my butt and money's tight right now. Will driving it further do damage to my car? I would imagine it would have an impact on gas mileage and tire life.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lee

PS: Again, may not be relevant, but here's the history of my car:

20000 miles - steering rack had to be replaced (can't remember why). 35000 miles - CV joint fixed/replaced (loud cracking noises when turning to extremes).
Reply to
A Rangers Fan

Camber is not a part. Camber is the angle that a tire tilts to the side from perpendicular to the ground. Camber is measured in degrees. A positive camber angle is when the top of the wheel is tilted out. However, a negative camber angle is when the top of the wheel is tilted in. Problems with the camber angle usually result from worn suspension parts that affect the ride height such as the springs or worn control arm bushings. It's also affected by people who try to re-engineer their cars and lower the suspension without adjusting the alignment. Camber can be adjusted but it can't be replaced. It would be interesting to know just exactly what they replaced for $280!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I think they bent something, or didn't reinstall one of the wheels correctly. Sounds like you need to have an expert look at your car, and not someone who is learning while they earn. Alignment that is not to spec does NOT cause vibration. bob.

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Exactly so. Misalignment can make vibration worse when something is worn or loose, but won't cause vibration when everything is right. Weird steering, yes; vibration, no.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

A Rangers Fan wrote in news:43bc3547$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.es.net:

Did they re-balance the tires? If so, there's one that's not seated properly. Either that, or there was one that wasn't installed properly to begin with, but was on the rear before, so it wasn't felt through the steering.

Put the car up on a hoist about two or three feet off the ground. Start the engine, let it idle and put the tranny in gear, letting the tires spin (if one side doesn't spin, put some drag on the one that does). Now watch them from the front of the car. The offending tire(s) will spin with a noticeable side-to-side wobble and/or up-and-down bounce.

The rears you can spin by hand to check them.

If you find a tire that's bouncy or wobbly, they need to remount them properly, using proper tire lube, not dish detergent and water. If they can't be remounted properly, find a tire shop that doesn't hire ignorant morons as installers.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

you need to find another shop to take this car to, and urgently. your existing place:

  1. does't know what they're doing.
  2. they're dishonest.

the cheap solution to vibration is making sure the tires/balance is ok. have it done again. if that's not it, look for wheel bearings - not unlikely given that you had a shaft replaced and the old bearing may well have been damaged by an incompetent..

Reply to
jim beam

It sounds like they screwed something up. Many tire shops are not trustworthy in my experience. The next step is to have someone who you are sure knows what the **** they are doing check things out.

John