tired, whining, winding noise from my 2003 pilot

I sometimes hear a high pitched whining noise coming from under the hodd of my 03 pilot with 56k on it. It sounds like the whining noise when you're going reverse at a high speed, except I'm going forward.
The noise gets louder when I turn the steerin wheel also.
I've read that these noises can be from the ac compressor or the water pump or something. I thought it was coming from this belt located directly to the left (if your facing the engine from the front), but I pointed it out to a mechanic, and he said nothing was wrong. I've tried taking it in a couple of times, but the noise annoyingly does not happen when I take it to the dealer.
Similarly, my AC is not working. Could this be related? I had some belts replaced, but it didn't help... could this be the timing belt?
thanks
On 5/27/2008 3:02 PM DC spake these words of knowledge:

There's an O-ring in the power steering unit that caused this problem in my 04 Accord. It was really noticeable when it's cold outside.
There was a TSB on it, but I don't have it available at the moment.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
I childproofed my home, but they still get in.

Have you had the recall done on the transmission. All 03s were recalled for an inspection to ascertain whether there was unusual wear in 2nd gear (I believe) because of of inadequate lubrication. There was a fix that added an oil line to provide additional lubrication.
DC wrote:

=========================== See the link I posted in the other NG. Get it fixed before you destroy your engine (not tranny or PS).
'Curly'

Thanks for all the advice. I'm taking it to the Honda dealer today. I'll give them the suggestions posted b/c they couldn't seem to find the problem the last 2 times I've taken it in. I'll let you know what they find.

I was getting tired whining winding noises, turns out to be my family. Honda won't pay to have them replaced, either.
It was the power steering pump....

Ah yes, I've gotten a few of those. I wonder what they'd be willing to do without if I get a new car.