Tires for 06 Civic EX

Hi,
I need new tires for the front of my daughter's 06 Civic EX.
Best deal I see is Kumho Ecsta LE Sport at $86 plus shipping from tirerack.com
Anyone have feed back on this tire or recommend any other tire for
this car. The existing Bridgestone HP 550's make too much road noise at low speed for my liking.
It has Goodyear Eagle LS on the rear which have 80% tread left. Tis tire at tirerack.com are $79
We're in DC Metro area.
Al Moodie.

Unless you need a special tire fir a car like this, it's probably not worth the extra effort of buying from Tire Rack. They're a great outfit, but you live in a large metro area and you should be able to find something suitable at a good price somewhere. Tire Rack's website does have a lot of good info. Check their tests for noise levels and shop around. New tires will probably be quieter, but get noisier as they age. Hondas have never been known for being super-quiet in terms of road noise anyway.

get a V-shaped directional tread and road noise from the tires will be less. Or the type that has mostly circumferential grooves,not cross grooves that make noise. for your daughter's car,watch for tread wear codes,because performance tires usually have shorter tread life.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"Al Moodie" wrote in message
Hi,
I need new tires for the front of my daughter's 06 Civic EX.
Best deal I see is Kumho Ecsta LE Sport at $86 plus shipping from tirerack.com
Anyone have feed back on this tire or recommend any other tire for this car. The existing Bridgestone HP 550's make too much road noise at low speed for my liking.
It has Goodyear Eagle LS on the rear which have 80% tread left. Tis tire at tirerack.com are $79
We're in DC Metro area.
Al Moodie.
I have Kumho Ecstas on my 06 Accord coupe -- through Tire Rack -- and am very pleased with them. Road noise is greatly diminished from the Firestones I had before.
On 2/19/12 4:34 PM, Al Moodie wrote:

You must have pretty good ears if you can tell that road noise is coming from the front rather than the rear tires!
If I were you, I'd buy the same model tires for the front that are on the back. Saves all kind of headaches, esp re: rotation.
--
These are the charges as recorded this day.

Faithfully submitted,
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:26:56 -0500, "Douglas C. Neidermeyer"

Since the front wheels are driven, whereas the rears are idle, I would expect to hear more noise from the front tires, all other things being equal.
When you apply power, torque is transmitted to the front wheels and stress is applied to the treads as they are forced to react and scrub and twist to create forward motion (Newton's third law and all that [for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction])
Anyway my wife tells me I need my hearing checked, but that's just because I don't hear everything she says, which is quite a lot.
Al Moodie.
Hi,
Had a pair of Kumho Solus KH 25 fitted locally, $91 per tire plus fitting, $235.34 total including tax.
Al Moodie.