Tires for '99 Accord

Seeking this group's collective wisdom on choosing 4 new tires for my '99 Accord LX. Any recomendations pro or con? I think I want something in the same "grand touring" class as the OEM Michelins (which are overpriced, no?), but will consider anything.

Apologies if this question has been asked before ...

-- BeeL

Reply to
Beel

If grand touring is the only tire class you will settle for, then according to TireRack.com, your best bets are the Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 and the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I put Yokohama Avids on mine about a year ago. I've been happy with them. I tried a set of Falkens, but couldn't get them balanced right, so I went with the Yokohamas.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Toyo makes a good tire. Find a dealer and see what they recomend. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

I'm not sure about the Michelins they put on the 99s, but I was told the MX4Vs on my 2003 Accord were designed specifically for Honda, and when I had one die prematurely due to a sidewall hole, I too got the same sticker shock when I was quoted $200.00 just for the tire itself.(The regular MX4V was considerably cheaper). Not wanting to mix tread designs at less than 20,000 miles on the set, I bit the bullet and bought one.

These "Honda" MV4V tires started to get squeally and unsafe in the wet at a little over 40,000 miles, even though well cared for (balance, rotate, align). I managed to get them to the mid 50s, but I took a chance waiting that long. After a little research, I decide on the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. Right now I only have a little over 1000 miles on them, but they peform like a champ. The grip is excellent amd they slice through standing water as if it wasn't there. Time will tell if they turn out better than the Michelins, but so far so good. I'll give the group an update when I get to about 25m miles.

BTW, if you decide to get a set of these, look around for an independent tire dealer for the best price. A Firestone store may be more convenient, but they will quote you list pirce ($155.00), and although they can be talked into better pricing if you walk in there with a written quote, they generally don't like to deal.

Bob

Reply to
rjdriver

Hey Misfit ... I do appreciate the advice, and also a pointer to TireRack.com.

It's not that Grand Touring is all I will settle for. It's more like I don't know that much about the categories and figure that the OEM-like tires must be a good compromise.

I live in New England and do a pretty even split of city/highway driving. What classes of tire *should* I look at?

-- Bill

High Tech Misfit wrote:

Reply to
Beel

if you can find a set of toyo ultra800 tires and can afford the price get them. they have a 100,000 mile tread life and perform very good.

Reply to
hondaman

I'm extremely pleased with the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds on my '03 Accord--good handling, comfortable ride, very quiet.

TripleTreds were also tops in the latestConsumer Reports survey.

Reply to
stewart