Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Hi Everyone,

I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter, and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800 dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.

Thanks So much

Reply to
Sam

------------------------

We need to know your mileage and when you last changed the tranny fluid. I wouldn't book an appointment at that dealer before doing lots of research.

By the way, is there lots of coolant in your coolant reservoir? It affects the shift points. How's your mileage been lately?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

============================= Another question about your 'rough shifting' problem: You didn't change the tranny fluid and put in non-Honda Dexron, did you? That will do it. The solution is to do three drain-n-fills with Honda Z1 and a short drive in between. It's a DIY job if you have a place and a socket handle.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Rough shiftings can simply be the results of torn transmission mounts. Check to make sure they are OK. Then check the fluid, drain and refill if needed. Since your Accord is a 2000 model, you should use Honda Z1 ATF.

But if the rough shiftings come along with a harsh downshift to first gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and off at cruising speed) then the torque converter is defective.

Reply to
bi241

Hi Curly,

It has 203,000 miles in it. I never changed the tranny oil, but I did fill it up about 5000 miles ago. Coolant in the reservoir is low. All your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Sam

Hi,

It is doing like you mentioned "But if the rough shiftings come along with a harsh downshift to first gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and off at cruising speed) then the torque converter is defective."

I talked to the Another Dealer, he told me that they dont just replace Torque Converter, because there is too much electronics there. He told me that I need to have whole Tranny Changed. Is this really true?

All your advic is appreciated greatly.

Reply to
Sam

another this, with this problem, I had someone check the computer because of check engine light, it gave 2 errors:

1) Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Malfunction 2) Shift Solenoid A Malfunction

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks> Hi Everyone,

Reply to
Sam

Hopefully the torque converter is mechanically sound and the problems are electronics. I'm pretty sure that's what the former dealership has in mind when they offer to fix it for only $700. The latter do what most dealerships would do, they'll replace the whole tranny and it'll cost you about $3,000 or more

i'm sure neither the former nor the latter will mess with the internal parts of the transmission. If people want to fix things themselves the dealers always have the parts they need. But no dealers are supposed to overhaul anything.

I would go with the former dealer

Reply to
bi241

"Sam" wrote in news:481bb3d8$0$31744$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

AFAIK,there's NO electronics in a torque converter;it's all in the planetary gear shift solenoids. fluid torque converters are just single stage hydraulic turbines.

you need to get that coolant level you mentioned in another post brought up to proper levels and air bled out from the system;the coolant temp sensor(CTS) needs to be fully immersed or it gives wrong temp readings to the ECU.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Sam" wrote in news:481bb7e9$0$31763$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I doubt it's anything you could fix yourself. So,it's either a Honda dealer or other Honda-knowledgeable service shop. Have you tried a transmission shop? one that has a good Better Business Bureau rating...

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks Jim for the information. I will get that coolant checked and CTS sensor ad air bled out of the system.

Reply to
Sam

"Sam" wrote in news:481c5f2b$0$4074$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I would also change the tranny fluid using Honda AT fluid. it would be a bummer to spend a lot of money on repairs when it was just some old,dirty ATF causing your problems.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

let me guess - either this is a v6 [you don't say] and you have a problem with the great honda transmission recall, or you had the transmission "flushed" by a non-honda service shop, and they used non-honda transmission fluid...

if the latter, drain and fill 3 times, driving for a week between each time, with genuine honda z1 atf. the transmission will magically behave like new again.

Reply to
jim beam

Jim, It is 4 Cylinder Automatic, I never changed the Tranny fluids. I guess its time now. Someone mentioned to also add the SEAFOAM additive. Is that recommended?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam