Toyota's electronic throttle, and..

Page 2 of 2

I was the unfortunate owner of Vue with the CVT transmission as well. I also got a new transmission (and promptly traded off the car).
The control system on those cars was very complicated since the ECM altered both the engine speed and the transmission gear ratio based on the vehicle speed and accelerator pedal position. As a wild guess, I'd suspect the vehicle speed sensor was hosed and the engine controller was attempting to match the engine speed and transmission gear ratio to the false road speed reading - even though the car was not moving.
In addition to the new transmission at around 38,000 miles, my Vue had also had the transmission in for another recall early on. Basically GM just screwed the pooch on that CVT. In theory it was a good idea, in practice the GM design sucked. My parents had a Ford Freestyle with a ZF supplied CVT and it never had a problem, so I know it can be done. I also think Nissans sells a number of vehicles with CVTs and I don't recall hearing that those had a lot of problems (ditto for Honda and Toyota). Maybe the GM CVT was just overstressed behind a 2 liter engine.
I was actually satisfied with the Vue for the first 3 years I owned it. I did have to take it in to have the CVT programmed during that time, but as long as I was the principal driver it seemed OK. However, after my Son started driving, the CVT didn't last three months. Neither did the horn, or several other items. My final conclusion was that the Vue was designed for little old lady school teachers.
Ed

Well, we did get 90k out of the first one.....not a record....but yes, it is time for it to go.
On 03/25/2010 05:53 PM, Tegger wrote:

good cite.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum