Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

Page 2 of 3

Toyotas tend to have softer and quieter ride. Hondas are more sporty and better handing. Road noise has a lot to do with the kind of tires you put on too.
Nissan Altima used to be a good car. Not sure if it has gotten better or worst in terms of quality.
Bob Jones wrote:

Nissan overall has seen its quality slip significantly over the years, to the point where it is probably the least reliable Japanese car maker. I wonder if we can blame that on the fact that they are owned by Renault?

Maybe they should go back to the Datsun name. Any idea how Subarus rank in the quality category?
On 1/28/10 10:14 PM, in article hjtnb4$han$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org,

I usually refrain from commenting on these blanket indictments, but since I have some first hand experience with both recent Hondas and Nissans, I would really like to know where you are getting this tidbit. It is simply not true, especially with regard to the cars. Recent Nissans, with the sole exception of the large trucks, are just as reliable as any Toyota or Honda and more "sporty" than either one of them.
I have owned '96, '00 and '06 Hondas (and Odyssey, TL & CRV) and '96, '97, '02, '08 & '09 Nissans (G20, I30, Pathfinder, Altima & G37). Currently in my garage is an '06 Honda CRV and an '09 G37S. My daughter has an '08 Altima which has been flawless up to now.
The Nissan are significantly quieter than than Hondas across the board, ride better and handle better. They haven't used timing belts since the early '90s.
I do my own routine maintenance. The Hondas are more difficult to work on (whose bright idea was it to put the oil filter above the exhaust on the back of the engine anyway?).
The only major catastrophe I have experienced with a car since '96 has been when the AC compressor on the '06 Honda CRV completely self destructed last summer without warning at only 40,000 miles & one month past the 3 year warranty period. The entire AC system had to be replaced at a cost of nearly $2000 and American Honda would not even talk to me about it.

Good God, an 08 ANYTHING would be flawless.
I hope that's not your criterion for "it's a good car"...

Wow.
You were dealing with the wrong dealership.
Did you CALL American Honda and open a log on this yourself? Or did you just talk to the dealership service manager and take his word for everything?
Quick story: way back when, mid-80s, I owned a 79 Civic. Loved that car. Gas tank had a bad design, the straps held moisture and the tank rusted. Went to my dealer. "Yeah, that shouldn't have happened. Honda has offered to buy the tank, if you'll pay labor." Done.
Based on that, a year later my GF bought a 79 Civic. Shortly thereafter, rusting gas tank. "No problem," I said. She took it to the dealer nearest her--different from mine--and explained it all. This was on a Friday.
Friday afternoon at 4:00 she called me, very upset, and said that the dealer apparently forgot about Honda buying the tank, and wanted her to pay the full bill. When she reminded them about the campaign, they said "Oh, well, you can leave the car here if you like, and we'll talk to the zone rep when he comes by." "Bullshit," sez I. I called American Honda, the zone office directly, and explained the situation to the guy who answered. "Hang on," he said.
Ten minutes later he comes back. "Go pick up your car. You'll pay labor only."
Remember, this was at 4:15 on a Friday afternoon.
We go into the dealership to pick up the car, and the service manager is at the desk. She sees us and says, "Went over our heads, did you?" You bet your ass we did, sweetie. Fuck you and your incompetence.
25 years later I still give my dealership all of my Honda business, and they still treat people the same way--with respect. I've had several repairs taken care of under a goodwill policy, repairs that technically weren't covered by warranty but which a reasonable person would say, "Oh, that shouldn't have happened." And I've never waited to get an answer--the service manager makes the decision on the spot.
One time, I took it in at 7pm, and the service writer called the service manager at home to get an answer to my request for goodwill consideration. He granted it, too. Of course, he knows me, and I'm a regular customer. That helps.
It also helps to know that this isn't coming out of the dealership's pocket. American Honda gives the dealership discretionary funds to take care of gray area crap like this.
One month out of warranty? American Honda, had you called them directly, wouldn't have hesitated to fix the entire thing. Shoot, I had an idle air control valve go out 9 months--but only 3K miles--out of warranty. $300 repair, and the service manager didn't hesitate to take care of it for me, no charge.
You could have worked the system better, had you come here and asked.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:53:52 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Yeah, they replaced the gas tank on my '80 Accord without a quibble. They might be more cooperative when it is a known defect. If it is just a random failure, maybe not,. But so soon out of waranty it would certainly be worth a try.

"The answer is always no if you don't ask."
E. Meyer wrote:

Honda's environmental control system design logic -- by default, toggling the A/C 'ON' every time air is directed onto the windscreen, then leaving the A/C 'ON' even after blower output is set to dash or floor -- undoubtedly contributes to a much higher than anticipated A/C clutch duty cycle and that particular failure.

But the AC won't cycle below a certain outside temperature.
Above that temperature, it's prudent to have the defroster actually provide dry, defrosting air to the windshield.
But simply aiming the air at the windshield doesn't trigger the AC. Using the defrost button does, but not manually aiming the air at the windshield.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Nope. Not on the 2005 CRV SE at least.
There is no "DEFROST" option, other than the electrical heating elements for mirrors and rear window.
The blower options are location-specific: cabin, mixed cabin/floor, floor, and windscreen.
Selecting the windscreen option automatically triggers the A/C circuit (which down to local temp minima in the teens F continues to operate).
De-selecting the windscreen option leaves the A/C on, which is a problem when the driver is unaware that it has been left on (which many are).
Hence the greater A/C clutch duty cycle and adverse impact on MPG.
On 1/29/10 1:44 PM, in article
wrote:

I suspect that might contribute to it, but the failure happened on a day when it was 110 degrees F; to my wife; on her way to my daughter's wedding rehearsal. The glow was definitely off Honda after this incident.
E. Meyer wrote:

Understandably!

Hm, I never heard of this. I wonder if this is also the case on my '94 Accord. It would be good to know.

There is a TSB out on that problem. Cost to fix depends on how far the fragments went into the system.
My boss has an '03 CR-V. Same problem, but he has 280,000 miles on the car, so he's not going to bother to fix the A/C.
He's probably going to dump the CR-V in the spring, but probably not for another CR-V since he doesn't like the styling of the new ones. This is his second CR-V, plus his wife has a '97.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
E. Meyer wrote:

This is just a sample. They are from a Canadian source, but Canadian market cars are usually exactly the same mechanically as U.S. market cars. Lots of detail, but I have provided links below. In particular, the "close-coupled" catalytic converter used with the 2.5L engine (used in the Altima and Sentra) was known for self-destructing, resulting in catastrophic engine trouble.
2002-2006 Altima: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/10/22/used-vehicle-review-nissan-altima-2002-2006-2.htm
2000-2003 Maxima: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/10/16/used-vehicle-review-nissan-maxima-2000-2003.htm
2001-2006 Sentra: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/06/11/used-vehicle-review-nissan-sentra-2001-2006.htm/3
snip

Generally, previous generation Honda cars were sportier than their current iterations. The mainstream products from both these companies are none too sporty.

Yup, The Tire Rack asks users to provide input re. tire noise. That said, Toyota/Lexus is known for insulation from road noise.

It's hard to find a poor car in the family sedan class. Competition works. But if you look at last year's sales, Subaru and Hyundai are the standouts with increases while the rest of the industry took it on the chin. Car shoppers should consider how they will use the car (city? highway? lots of night driving? more than 2 kids?), where they live (snow country? mountains?) and buy something that meets their own needs (e.g., minivan).

Here's what bugs me about the floor mat issue. My 96 Civic had a recall due to sliding floor mats.Thirteen years later Toyota didn't remember that? My Honda floor mats for my Fit have neat little clips on the fronts that keep them from moving forward. Those little "sticky-outty" things on the bottom of a mat only last for so long.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

I love my country, It's my government I fear.
Cameo wrote:

My parents will soon replace their 1994 Toyota Camry after almost 14 years of excellent service. This car has not received a lot of care and has held up amazingly well in spite of that.
The Toyota recalls and just a desire to see the other offerings may have them looking at the Honda Accord. Their two main criteria are reliability and overall comfort. Road noise is definitely a factor. It also needs to have 4 doors, but will rarely have someone in the back seat anymore. The least important thing for them is how sporty it is.
They are also looking for something as close to their current Camry as possible as far as price, (adjusted for 2010 of course), gas mileage, and trunk capacity.
Looking at the Accord is a given, but I was wondering what other cars in this general criteria range they should be checking out. I have been researching it some and nothing but the Accord is really standing out so far.
Thanks!
Pat
On 01/27/2010 11:41 AM, Cameo wrote:

this "recall" stinks of politics/protectionism.
1. why would [politically naive] toyota have a recall after buying cts sensors [with what, three failures?] when domestics using the same supplier haven't the slightest whiff of recall?
2. google for reports of bmw stuck throttle problems and you'll find plenty, but i don't see the national media whipping themselves up into a xenophobic frenzy over it.