Toyota's troubles Honda's fortune?

Honda's environmental control system design logic -- by default, toggling the A/C 'ON' every time air is directed onto the windscreen, then leaving the A/C 'ON' even after blower output is set to dash or floor -- undoubtedly contributes to a much higher than anticipated A/C clutch duty cycle and that particular failure.

Reply to
News

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C7886087.169EA% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net:

There is a TSB out on that problem. Cost to fix depends on how far the fragments went into the system.

My boss has an '03 CR-V. Same problem, but he has 280,000 miles on the car, so he's not going to bother to fix the A/C.

He's probably going to dump the CR-V in the spring, but probably not for another CR-V since he doesn't like the styling of the new ones. This is his second CR-V, plus his wife has a '97.

Reply to
Tegger

But the AC won't cycle below a certain outside temperature.

Above that temperature, it's prudent to have the defroster actually provide dry, defrosting air to the windshield.

But simply aiming the air at the windshield doesn't trigger the AC. Using the defrost button does, but not manually aiming the air at the windshield.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nope. Not on the 2005 CRV SE at least.

There is no "DEFROST" option, other than the electrical heating elements for mirrors and rear window.

The blower options are location-specific: cabin, mixed cabin/floor, floor, and windscreen.

Selecting the windscreen option automatically triggers the A/C circuit (which down to local temp minima in the teens F continues to operate).

De-selecting the windscreen option leaves the A/C on, which is a problem when the driver is unaware that it has been left on (which many are).

Hence the greater A/C clutch duty cycle and adverse impact on MPG.

Reply to
News

I suspect that might contribute to it, but the failure happened on a day when it was 110 degrees F; to my wife; on her way to my daughter's wedding rehearsal. The glow was definitely off Honda after this incident.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Understandably!

Reply to
News

Hm, I never heard of this. I wonder if this is also the case on my '94 Accord. It would be good to know.

Reply to
Cameo

I don't know about the Venza, but I do know that the current Corolla has electric power steering.

Reply to
Eternal Searcher

This is just a sample. They are from a Canadian source, but Canadian market cars are usually exactly the same mechanically as U.S. market cars. Lots of detail, but I have provided links below. In particular, the "close-coupled" catalytic converter used with the 2.5L engine (used in the Altima and Sentra) was known for self-destructing, resulting in catastrophic engine trouble.

2002-2006 Altima:
2000-2003 Maxima:
2001-2006 Sentra:
Eternal Searcher

Hmm. Well, I do not know. All I know is that we had a short test- drive, and my wife hated the steering. The salesman said that the Toyota Venza had the latest "fly-by-wire" as they had in the latest airplanes. What that meant, I did not know, but I associated it with my wife's hating the steering. Of course salesmen say a lot of things, and I should have looked under the hood, and I could have determined what it was, but you know how it is....if your wife says that she hates it, then that's it! So we left.

Reply to
billzz

billzz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o16g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

The amount of total bullshit that permeates Usenet is amazing. Is Usenet the CB radio of the 21st Century? So it would seem.

Fact 1: ALL cars to this very minute have ordinary (and quite mechanical) steering just like any vehicle since the very day steering was introduced.

Fact 2: This "fly by wire" thing refers to the THROTTLE, not the STEERING.

The newest power steering systems use electric motors rather than hydraulics to effect the power-assist that makes it easier to turn the steering wheel. This is the source of the confusion that results in the mis-identification of electric assist as being "fly-by-wire".

Reply to
Tegger

this "recall" stinks of politics/protectionism.

  1. why would [politically naive] toyota have a recall after buying cts sensors [with what, three failures?] when domestics using the same supplier haven't the slightest whiff of recall?
  2. google for reports of bmw stuck throttle problems and you'll find plenty, but i don't see the national media whipping themselves up into a xenophobic frenzy over it.
Reply to
jim beam

well said.

Reply to
jim beam

it really offers no advantages on emissions [other than maybe total CO2, but that's also an economy thing]. but it does offer two significant advantages for control:

  1. cruise control is now a piece of cake.

  1. automatic shifting is now a piece of cake.

for #2, old style shifting under full power meant having a transmission with converters/clutches that could take the load/wear. not a trivial mechanical solution, and thus, not cheap either. this was partially addressed in the 90's with retarding ignition timing to reduce engine output at the critical moment, which helps, but it's not a real solution. with electronic throttle, you can have a quick and precise power-down exactly in sync with the shift event, thus reducing mechanical load, gas consumption, and offering the potential to make the shift smoother. it's an excellent thing.

indeed.

the dead stinking herring for me though, is why are none of the other [domestic] manufacturers cts supplies subject to the same kind of hysteria? you can count the number of toyota instances of "failure" on one hand. but frod?

why is the "media" not trying to whip the proles into a frenzy of anti-frod fear and loathing?

and another thing: i've had a stuck [mechanical] throttle [cable] once. all you do is knock the transmission into neutral and stop the car. instances of death, allegedly due to stuck throttles are incomprehensible to me - the car would need to have a stuck throttle, stuck ignition switch, brake failure and stuck transmission - those do not all happen at once. driver error otoh, well, some people just can't accept responsibility for their own incompetence, otherwise known as "natural selection".

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:zc6dncM8iMOY0fnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

It's more than that, I've since learned: it's primarily for VSA and Traction Control, not emissions or cruise.

VSA and TRAC are dependent on the ECM/PCM having complete control over the throttle.

And some more information I learned...

That "Smart Start" button is part of the problem. The 3-second delay (there for liability reasons) must be terribly confusing in a panic situation.

Those two-gate automatic shifters are another source of the problem. The cop that died (in a loaner car) had tried to push his shifter into Neutral, but had pulled the lever over into the "Sport" side of the gate, which toggled between up and down in Drive only. In his panic, he didn't realize that.

Also, apparently some people are not riding the brake /hard enough/. They are doing it in stages, letting off between, which overheats the brakes. If they would simply stomp the pedal as hard as possible, and /keep the pedal down/, the brakes will overpower the engine and sto the car.

Reply to
Tegger

true, electronic throttle makes those relatively easy [and cheap] too.

i hadn't considered, that, but yes, you're right, that would be a major problem. there should be a "KILL" button on all-electronic cars, just like on race cars.

natural selection. familiarize yourself with the vehicle controls before driving.

indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

- snipped-for-privacy@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

I appreciate your demonstration of being in the know, and true most all manufactures use drive by wire technology, though, not all vehicles use it, and not all vehicles use the same kind of technology; same concept, but different technologies.

Yes, floor mats are an issue, however, after your post, Toyota announced

the actual problem is.

Reply to
Making Car Sense

Thus spake ACAR :

Here's what bugs me about the floor mat issue. My 96 Civic had a recall due to sliding floor mats.Thirteen years later Toyota didn't remember that? My Honda floor mats for my Fit have neat little clips on the fronts that keep them from moving forward. Those little "sticky-outty" things on the bottom of a mat only last for so long.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

It looks like Ford, & Hyundai are the main beneficiaries. I have seen a ton of Ford Fusion cars around.

Reply to
Gary44

Looks like Ford and Chevrolet are picking up the 'slack' from Toyota.

Reply to
Zorro_2k