tpms light came on

Page 1 of 2
How smart is the light, and how smart is the dealer?
(don't even ask how smart is the driver ok)
New Accord EX4 sedan about four months out of the dealer, haven't done
a thing yet but put gas in it and putter around town. Noticed the TPMS light on, pulled over to look at the tires. Nothing obvious, so I drove on. Next time, I looked carefully, maybe the right front was a tad low?
Drove on down to the service station air pump, promised to buy some gas if they'd turn on the coin-op air. Turns out that, warm, all four tires were almost exactly 28psi. But my door panel suggests they should be 32psi cold. Harump. I know my dealer has long had a habit of underinflating when they adjust tires, why, I don't know. And I've beem wondering why my MPG was a mile or two lower than on previous Accords. Harump. So I blew them all up to about 32psi warm. Turned the key, drove a block - light stayed on. Maybe a bad sensor, huh?
Had lunch, got back in - and now the light was off.
So, does it take a couple of samples to convince itself that the pressure is OK? How the heck does the sensor work anyway?
Just wondering.
J.
JRStern wrote:

Did you check the pressure of the spare?
--
JRE

Didja ever READ the OWNER'S MANUAL about that little light?
And no, your eyeball is NOT an air pressure gauge.

Oh, I dunno. What does your OWNER'S MANUAL for your SHINY NEW $25,000 TOY say?
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:39:06 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Speak for yourself.

You're not going to fool me like that, I know how that worked out at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark!
OK, I understand there's some federal mandate that we have these things, and I guess they work by emitting deadly radiation and reporting my whereabouts to the FBI at every moment. Just as in five years, we'll have the same devices rammed up our asses for Obamacare.
But I was just wondering (a) why the light didn't go out right away, that is still lit up the next time I started and drove a few feet, and (b) why my dealer doesn't ever open up the users manual or read the plaque inside the driver's door giving recommended pressures.
.. and I'll see if I get back that 1-2mpg now that the pressure is up where it ought to be.
J.

So your eyeball can tell the difference between 35psi and 32psi?
SURE it can. <snort>

Mine can. There's this little LCD that I look at.
Erh, wait, that's what you were talking about using.
I can tell the difference beween 32 psi and 24 psi.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.

hmmmmm, what does your OWNER'S MANUAL say?

Excellent question. Ask him.
On 04/03/10 18:57, JRStern wrote:

I F***ING KNEW IT! THANKS, BRO!
One word - prepare!

There's going to be a run on KY. And Astroglide. And probably 30 wt.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
On 04/15/10 12:39, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Um, TMI, dude, TMI. :)
My TPMS light will come on occasionally on my 08 EXL V6 when the temperature drops to -35 or -40 and once it warms up to a balmy -20 the light goes out. I was thinking of having nitration put in and see if that would make a difference. just a thought
Cheers
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 20:51:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.ca wrote:

Er, yeah. Well, out here in Los Angeles, I suppose when the Richter 8.0 hits it's likely to cause the TPMS light to come on, too. I'll let you know.
J.
Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@home.ca :

I know you're talking C and not F. Oh, that's still fracking cold.
Mine will usually come on around 20F if the pressure is near the trigger point. Sometimes I can warm the tires a little (if you've seen any kind of auto race, you know how).
BTW, my light came on yesterday. Since it hit about 70F, I don't think it's the temperature. But I'm waiting until this morning when they're cold to air up.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
On 04/15/10 12:42, Dillon Pyron wrote:

How old are you? The first xxx years I had to file with the IRS taxes were due 03/15, the same as business. The cute saying back then was "beware the Ides of March", but most people wouldn't get that nowadays.

The TPMS will sample tire rotations once the car's speed is over 30 mph for about a minute. If it likes what it sees, it will then turn the light off.
Some tips: * Use a hand-held gauge (NOT the one on the air pump), and use the same gauge for all the tires. * Check and set the pressures COLD and OUT OF THE SUN. First thing in the morning before the sun hits the tires is best. If you must add air when the tires are warm, set the pressures TOO HIGH, then bleed off some air the next morning to arrive at the final pressures. * An ordinary bicyle pump is great for fine-tuning the pressures a pound or two at a time. * Inspection by eye is NOT reliable; tires will only be obviously visually low once they're down to about half their proper pressures.
Another important tip: Occasionally, one tire will "settle" to a final rolling circumference that is different from the others. This can cause sufficient rotational differential from the other tires that can fool ABS- based TPMSs into thinking that tire is low. You can check this by carefully measuring the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel rim on each of the two tires on an axle. This must be done with the car on a perfectly flat surface, such as the concrete pad of a gas station.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 4/3/2010 11:28 PM, Tegger wrote:

Could we possibly make tire pressure any more complicated? These tpms' are bs.

Write your Congressman. Congress is who imposed it in the first place.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'll add it to my airbag letter.
J.

Which aribag are you going to send it to. Oh, I'm thinking gasbag.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.
On 04/15/10 12:44, Dillon Pyron wrote: