tpms light came on

Thus spake JRStern :

Which aribag are you going to send it to. Oh, I'm thinking gasbag.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake JRStern :

Yup, EVERY manual says to never bleed air from a hot tire.

I've autocrossed with a lot of people who use bleed valve guages. If you're up for the ~$400 price tag.

That's the point. Not that they were "equally" low but that one may have been "too" low and the others were "just above" the limit.

But I always check mine. For exactly the two reasons you and I mention.

The sensor is actually ABS based (as opposed to the F1 sensors that really are pressure based). ABS measures the rotational speed to figure out which tire is locking up. Unless your tires, rotars, pads, pistons and master are all incredibly tuned up, one tire will lock first. Stay up late tonight (if you're in the western hemisphere) and watch one of the bought drivers in the GP of China square off a tire.

That is pure BS. Doing that introduces a huge number of safety and reliabilty issues.

A lot of drivers I AX with (including me) will sometimes chalk the tires looking for roll. Too low a pressure and too tight/fast a turn will roll a tire off the rim. I've seen it.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Um, TMI, dude, TMI. :)

Reply to
Tony Harding

How old are you? The first xxx years I had to file with the IRS taxes were due 03/15, the same as business. The cute saying back then was "beware the Ides of March", but most people wouldn't get that nowadays.

Reply to
Tony Harding

In that case, probably Rush Limbaugh.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Small world, I ended up watching much of this race on SPEED last Sunday. Sorry to say, I found it fairly boring.

Haven't seen the term before, what do you mean?

Reply to
Tony Harding

I'm gonna guess auto-cross.

Which is a combination race and scavenger hunt, or something like that.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Thanks, I know about that (IIRC we called them gymkhanas a few decades ago), but how (or why) does one "chalk the tires"?

Reply to
Tony Harding

Tony Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

Never AX'ed, myself, but I'd wager that you just put a chalk line down the sidewall and onto the tread. Where the line gets scrubbed away, the tire's touching the pavement.

The idea would be to maximize the amount of tread remaining in contact with the road instead of getting lifted off as the sidewall rolls under.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks.

Reply to